• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuel Tank Cap 100 BN2

Martinld123

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
I have never been happy with the seal on my 1956 100 BN2 gas cap. I feel like I am riding in a car that is one spark away from a very bad day. It seems to get tight but if I turn it a little further is gets loose again and sometimes I can smell gas. It vents into the boot, lol. I am thinking of cutting new piece of rubber seal. Any thoughts on this? Thanks Marty

Country flag
I think a new seal couldn't hurt, but are you sure it's the cap's fault? If your tank is original it might have some pinhole leaks; my BJ8 had gas smell in the boot, which was cured with a new tank. At any rate, the cap should seal properly; my BN2's does.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The filler cap in my car does not leak fuel but when the tank is at or near full there is a strong smell of fuel that permeates the car which I assume is because of the small vent in the cap.
Has anyone tried to fix some kind of hose nipple onto the face of the cap so that the tank could be vented to the exterior rather than into the boot?

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
G’day Michael,
A member of our local AH club made such a modification and I made a rather crude copy, to test if it works. I’ll take a photo tomorrow and try to post it.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Pan--

Thanks for the reply and I look forward to seeing both a pic and report of effectiveness.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
30114D79-A963-49C3-90A4-433F55A57DFA.jpgIt looks like someone beat me to it! I did say mine was crude! The fitting is a T piece which I think is used for fish tanks and the tube is routed into the open. I drilled the breather hole on a spare cap, big enough to accept the plastic fitting. I have not used this cap while driving because I fear the tube may get blocked with foreign matter from the road or water which could be sucked in as the tank empties. If the car is parked for any length of time it is hoped that petrol fumes will escape and not fill the boot (sorry “trunk”!) space!
Cheers,
Alwyn

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
View attachment 57065It looks like someone beat me to it! I did say mine was crude! The fitting is a T piece which I think is used for fish tanks and the tube is routed into the open. I drilled the breather hole on a spare cap, big enough to accept the plastic fitting. I have not used this cap while driving because I fear the tube may get blocked with foreign matter from the road or water which could be sucked in as the tank empties. If the car is parked for any length of time it is hoped that petrol fumes will escape and not fill the boot (sorry “trunk”!) space!
Cheers,
Alwyn

Charlie Hart's solution was to run the tube out through the bumper bracket opening.