• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1958 Nash metro door questions...

doc50

Jedi Trainee
I'm pulling what's left of my hair out here.

Trying to remove the door glass and door handle (Hinge screws are all stuck, gave up on putting door on the bench).
Removed every screw and bolt from the interior door skin and it's still a big mystery. The handle is held by some spring or clip but it's not clear how to release that.

Anybody have the answer to taking out the glass and handle?

Thx.

Thom

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Did that, got the handles off.
My problem is the window channels. I'm trying to take those off and am having quite a time doing so.
Found that I need to weld some new threaded pieces on the channel, doing that now.
Got the rear channel off, not yet the forward one.
Still frustratingly befuddled about the 'Chinese Jigsaw Puzzle' that comprises my doors!

UPDATE: Found that the window channels come out vertically, having to roll the window down and up as I work the channel out.

Thom

Last edited:
OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Ready to put the window back with the 2 leather washers from PitStop. The old regulator had hat shaped gaskets that actually went over the axles of the lifting arms to cushion / soften the motion when raising and lowering the window. The leather gaskets I NOW have are just 'leather flat washers'.

Anybody want to chime in? I'm guessing that these systems share similar design with other cars, so someone out there may have an answer. I don't want to go through the grief of putting the assembly all together just to find there's more needed.

Thanks!

Thom

1958 Nash Met

dklawson

Yoda
The old regulator had hat shaped gaskets that actually went over the axles of the lifting arms to cushion / soften the motion when raising and lowering the window. The leather gaskets I NOW have are just 'leather flat washers'.

Please do not take this wrong. You are getting into some details of the car that may be unique. While people on this board may have some experience with the Nash, you are likely to get more specific, first-hand experience answers from a board dedicated to your car.

That being said, you referred to "hat shaped gaskets". Pictures would help. Were these pieces really rubber or were they plastic... like nylon? Whenever I think of a part that is hat-shaped I think of flanged bushings. You may be able to find certain sizes of flanged bushings at hardware stores. If they don't have nylon bushings they may have oilite bronze. If you have not done so, take a look at sources like McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) They are like a convenience store for industrial supplies and may have something similar to what you want.

As I mentioned above, folks on a Nash specific website are likely to have dealt with this before and may be able to point you towards a source for replacement parts.

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the ideas, Doug. I don't at present have a go to Met site but I'm still looking.
I may try McMaster Carr, hadn't thought of them for years.

Thom
1958 Met

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
OK. Got the window reg out, found that some %#%!@* PO ruined one arm of the window lift mech by hammering out the designed offset curve. It changed the whole geometry. Ordered one from PitStop, should be able to move on now.

Turns out a 'Met Unit' appears to be around $300. Onward.

Thom
1958 Met