• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Increasable WW1 convoy of steam vehicles.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Dave - thanks for the link. And as one of the comments says, "no stupid music"!

Remembering the past, while hoping to avoid the past's mistakes.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Nothing that Time and Money won't fix. Probable lots of both. Plus Dedication.

Not sure how far they drove but I presume the foot troupes marched all the way.

David

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
That was GREAT! Hard to imagine how old those vehicles are and in such great shape. Took a lot of effort to keep them that way. Best of all is the running display. Thanks for showing us that video, it was wonderful! :encouragement: PJ

catfood

Jedi Knight

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
An engineer friend of mine who worked in the US, Japan and UK made the remark: "In the US, we're proud of our biotechnology; in Japan, they're proud of their electronics, and the Brits are proud of their steam engines."

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
An engineer friend of mine who worked in the US, Japan and UK made the remark: "In the US, we're proud of our biotechnology; in Japan, they're proud of their electronics, and the Brits are proud of their steam engines."

darn right!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I occasionally hang out at the Historic Military Vehicle Forum - where they restore or have restored a number of vehicles in that parade - it is one of their beg events.

They are more about gas than steam but it is amazing what they are doing - tracked vehicles which is just bonkers in terms of size and scope - they are literally restoring vehicles found on artillery ranges and my real favourite - Pre WWII vehicles - WWI - solid rubber tires - there are people who collected parts for a couple of decades before they could even start, and, still had to continually have to get castings made. It is amazing!

https://hmvf.co.uk/

if you have the time read through this one in particular:

https://hmvf.co.uk/topic/9672-ww1-thornycroft-restoration/

Country flag
On the subject of English steam power, if you ever have the chance to visit the Kempton Park Waterworks, you'll get to see

[h=1]"the worldโ€™s largest working triple-expansion steam pumping engine in action. Come and see the huge 33-ton flywheels spinning round on their 30-ton crankshaft and watch the massive con rods rise and fall in rhythmic splendour. At 62 feet high, and weighing 1,000 tons, the engine is the size of a block of flatsโ€ฆ and itโ€™s not alone because our magnificent Art Deco building houses two of them!"[/h]
When I visited London a couple of years ago, this was one of my priority stops, but not for the reason you may think. There's a scrumptious connection to motor cars, who knows what it is? :D

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Cameron's TITANTIC film used a restored Liberty ship based in San Francisco for the engine room scene - the Liberty ship had a triple expansion engine similar to Titantic's.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Even more impressive is that a British organization built FROM SCRATCH a brand new Peppercorn A1 mainline steam locomotive finishing it up in 2008. All they had were the original blueprints, and it took 18 years to do but they are running special excursion trains with this thing, and there is a fascinating series of videos on youtube about the construction and the certification tests they did in 2017 to be permitted for 90MPH mainline runs.