• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Movie Recommendation

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I know there are lots of aviation history buffs here, especially dealing with WWII. Just watched Spitfire on Amazon Prime, a documentary about the development of the plane. Plenty of footage, historical and contemporary, and interviews with people who flew them. Also lots of information about R.J. Mitchell, its designer. Good stuff!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Wow - I completely missed that. Thanks for posting.

At first I thought you meant the *other* Spitfire movie, from 1942. That's the one I remember.

Spitfire 1942.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I have "Battle of Britain" in my movie collection. Lots of Spitfires in that one!. Is that Spitfire movie strictly an Amazon Prime movie?

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
That appears to be the problem for us in North America.

On the film's website: "The DVD and Blu-Ray are available for purchase on-line and also from retailers such as HMV, Sainsburyโ€™s and Asda. It is also available on various on-line platforms in the UK such as iTunes, Vimeo, Amazon, Google and on Virgin.In the US and Canada, Spitfire is also now available on these platforms:"

Spitfire_Platform.jpg

We've got Spectrum here - and there's no word on availability. Also checked Vudu and Youtube. But I have to say ... I'd rather see the film in a real theater with a big screen and good audio - not a TV screen!

Edit: looks like US rights are now owned by Gravitas, with very limited availability.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/spitfire-documentary-secures-us-deal-exclusive/5131010.article

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Looks like it may be awhile (several months) before its available digitally in US.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
This is one I am waiting for.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Back when I was flying, I had lunch with a Brit by the name of Steve Vierko who flew Spitfires during the War (and survived).

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I just stared a free "Prime" trial membership and I took the opportunity to watch Spitfire today. Excellent documentary!

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
A long time ago flying gliders out of Wycombe Air park was RAF Booker at one time a Spitfire came into circuit and on the downwind leg there was a lot of banging from the exhaust. I gather that happens when you shut that size engine down to near idle.
Had always thought that sound in films was sound effects like the ricochet in gun fights. Very impressive to stand beside a running Spitfire. (Behind the wing)

David

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I just stared a free "Prime" trial membership and I took the opportunity to watch Spitfire today. Excellent documentary!

It's on Prime now? I suppose I need to watch it this week.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have "Battle of Britain" in my movie collection. Lots of Spitfires in that one!. Is that Spitfire movie strictly an Amazon Prime movie?

2019 will mark the 50th anniversary since the movie's release. It is still the benchmark for military aviation themed movies. Some of the special effects are dated, but the air-to-air scenes are still better than anything CGI can produce.

The soundtrack to the movie is quite underrated. I've listened to the CD of the movie soundtrack several times. When you focus on just the music, you realize how great it truly is. I would put it in the top 10 of all movie sound tracks of all time.