• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A voltage regulators gap and oxidation

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I do not understand voltage regulators much and I was looking through my old regulator parts and some are NOS and I trust those settings. The one Lucas regulator that is NOS the gap on points on the right side coil is twice the size of a other newer one. The second one is Lucas also, but much newer. I do not know how much newer. I like the newest one because it is cleaner inside with no oxidation, but the caps on the points are so different. I guess the gap in no big deal just a different model, but I do not know. Moreover, if I did use the oxidized NOS one what do you guys think about the oxidized metal from age? everything clean ,but surface rust on the frame.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
That looks like the cut-out for the later RB106-2 control box. Here's a diagram of the air gap settings. Hard to say, but the cleaner one looks to be closer to spec, but you have to check the gaps both open and closed.

img688.jpg

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Art thank you for the picture; yes the newer one is much closer to those numbers plus being cleaner is nice also. I have never messed with those settings, and now I will read up on it and see if I can find some part numbers for reference. I also remember a time back in the late seventies and maybe the eighties when everyone had to purchase both the regulator and generator when buying them from the local store. I think that is how I acquired so many because I always saved the core and too much stuff- but heck I like it.
steve

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I see no problem using the one in your pic. The frame rust is not a factor unless it gets bad enough to flake off into the points.

Also, you can set the initial gaps by the book, but I am a firm believer that they must be fine tuned once the regulator is installed.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I would also have no problem using the one with the oxidation. But I would absolutely clean the contacts, adjust the gaps on the bench (gaps are a big deal, they aren't just haphazard), and adjust spring tensions on the car to get the right voltage readings. Although the book says otherwise, new units were supplied un-adjusted for many years, plus the springs may have weakened a bit or whatever. With a DC generator, the regulator's most important role is in protecting the generator! And it only takes a small misadjustment for it to let the generator overheat and destroy itself.

Learned that lesson the hard way, many years ago. Seemed like most of my disposable income was going into rebuilt generators, before I figured out it was the control box adjustments that were just a bit off ... ironically enough because I had followed bad advice and turned it up "a bit" because the battery was often run down in cold weather!

The whole system is a bit of a "dancing bear" IMO. What is amazing is not how well it dances, but that it dances at all!

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
WoW I am glad I asked about these things. The one with the rust looks like it could be way out of adjustment. Plus I think you are correct about the early regulators not being set Randall because that is an old one. I went through a bunch of generators also until I found by chance a system that worked. Perhaps that is why the stores would not guaranty anything unless you bought both, and even then they kinda had to know you to get a guaranty on the electrical stuff. Maybe 15 years ago I went in bought a Lucas generator from a store I knew a little and when I got it home, I looked at the back bracket and it was cracked at the pot metal hole. I took it back and the counter guy said I did it putting it on. I did not want to argue that day, so I just left. They ordered it out of Portland and the generators in general where getting difficult to find, so I kept it for parts.

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Not wanting to fiddle with "tuning" the voltage regulator, I spent the money and bought an electronic voltage regulator, housed in the original box, from Advance Dynamo Regulators at https://www.classicregulator.com

It works great and is in the correct housing.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I did what Keith did and got the electronic voltage regulator from Advanced Dynamo. It works great and looks like the original.

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
On their home page they mention that due to a family emergency, they aren't producing any orders at the moment. They also suggest contacting their UK partner, https://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com, so you might want to try there first.