Thread: Shop Heater

Discuss general restoration and car care topics (paint & body, upholstery, woodworking, etc) as well as tools.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Shop Heater

I am in the process of building a garage with a separate shop I plan to heat. I will have 220 volts in my garage at long last. I want to get an electric heater (I had a propane wall heater, didn't care for the open flame and fumes that built up by the time it got warm).

Shop will be approx. 17 x 21'. It looks like there are lots of options. Any recommendations? I won't be running it all the time, just when I am out there, want something reasonably quiet.

Thanks, Greg

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

Re: Shop Heater

Greg - if that shop area is insulated, (and you're ok with electric heat being *expensive to operate*), I'd sure recommend 220 volt electric baseboard systems. Like:

https://www.grainger.com/product/31LK62

098319861191.jpg

Completely quiet, available from Lowes and HD, install yourself, heat from the ground up, easily configured to your available wall space.

Tom M.
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Heated floor. Not necessarily the whole shop, but, where your tools are and under one car.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Overhead infrared heaters... they heat you and not the space.
    Elliot
    Central PA
    1973 TR6 Damson Plum / Biscuit interior, HVDA 5-speed, Good Parts Hubs
    1976 TR6 White/Biscuit interior SOLD
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Thanks guys, interesting ideas, all different than the big box hanging from the ceiling I was looking at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Waste oil heater? British cars use a lot of oil.
    Larry K
    58 Jag 3.4 MK 1 auto under restoration, 57 Jag 3.4 MK1 manual ,
    03 Cooper S, 2011 Cooper S Countryman, 2011 Land Rover LR4 HSE LUX, 1964 Valiant V200
    Also had , 68 Cortina 1600E, 64 Spit 4 & 80 1500, 73 GT6 3, 71 XJ6, 79 XJ6, 86 XJS V-12, 53 XK120 OTS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LarryK View Post
    Waste oil heater? British cars use a lot of oil.
    Now I know the reason I've kept a few gallons of waste oil around here... at least it sounds like a good excuse for the procrastination over transporting it to the recycle joint.
    '64 MGB, '67 Lotus Elan S-3 DHC,'69 Lotus Elan +2
    '78 Alfa Romeo Spider-undergoing surgery: O=\*/=O
    '84 300D Turbo-"Diesela"-Now my Daily: Oo|≣|oO
    '02 Toyota Camry- SWMBO's 'new-to-her' Daily. <sigh>
    Chaos & Mayhem PTY, LTD..C.I.O. & Floor Sweepervisor

Darth Vader
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Back in the late 1960 a friend used this type of heater in his shop. Would burn waste oil, kerosene, or diesel. Getting it going was tricky but it put out a lot of heat. His had a bypass pipe up the side of the chimney.

Is probable Totally banned in the UK now.

David

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/salamander-heater
    TR3A TS75524L

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I have purchased and installed my heater and am happy with the choice.

https://www.landmsupply.com/departme...remote-control

I am not out there all the time, nor do I want it heated all the time, but when I do go out I want to be able to quickly and easily heat the area. This fits the bill for that purpose. I like the idea of a heated floor, but a little late in the game to go that route, and I don't think it would probably heat up quickly like I want.

I have worked in unheated garage space for over 40 years, and remember helping my brother change a clutch on a Sprite probably in 74 or 75 in an unheated, detached garage when it was below zero out. Have been working in only slightly better conditions since, is nice to have the heat. Know a lot of people have similar now, but between that and my riding mower I got a couple years ago I truly feel like I am living like a king, or at least a very fortunate man.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

Whoa - now that looks like one powerful heater. 25K btu's - could probably heat my whole house!

Congrats on the improvements. I've been working in unheated garage (or driveway) for 20+ years. Riding mowers, snow blowers, and heated garages are definitely signs of human development. Plus single malt scotch.

Tom M.
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by glemon View Post
    I have purchased and installed my heater and am happy with the choice.

https://www.landmsupply.com/departme...remote-control

I am not out there all the time, nor do I want it heated all the time, but when I do go out I want to be able to quickly and easily heat the area. This fits the bill for that purpose. I like the idea of a heated floor, but a little late in the game to go that route, and I don't think it would probably heat up quickly like I want.

I have worked in unheated garage space for over 40 years, and remember helping my brother change a clutch on a Sprite probably in 74 or 75 in an unheated, detached garage when it was below zero out. Have been working in only slightly better conditions since, is nice to have the heat. Know a lot of people have similar now, but between that and my riding mower I got a couple years ago I truly feel like I am living like a king, or at least a very fortunate man.
    How large an area does that heat? I'm using a small propane space heater, but have been looking for something more substantial for my garage. I don't need a sauna, but it would be nice to take the chill off...
    "There are three kinds of men. One who learns by readin'. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on that electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers
    Mickey Richaud '73 MGB, '69 MGB GT/V6, Victor TF, '03 Jaguar XK8
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

Mickey - I think he said earlier the shop is 17 x 21.

I'm pretty sure he's heating the shop, not the garage.

T.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegCT View Post
    Mickey - I think he said earlier the shop is 17 x 21.

I'm pretty sure he's heating the shop, not the garage.

T.
    Ah, so - missed that first post. Looks like I'll need a couple of those, if I decide to pursue it.
    "There are three kinds of men. One who learns by readin'. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on that electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Yes, I put it into heat the shop. I built a three stall garage, the third stall is larger and walled off from the rest.

Still in progress and not sealed up real well. Based on online reviews the heater should be able to heat a two stall pretty easily, three stall may be a stretch unless very well sealed and inulated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by glemon View Post
    Yes, I put it into heat the shop. I built a three stall garage, the third stall is larger and walled off from the rest.

Still in progress and not sealed up real well. Based on online reviews the heater should be able to heat a two stall pretty easily, three stall may be a stretch unless very well sealed and inulated.
    Yeah, mine is a three stall, but it is well insulated. Doors (three) and windows (two) are as well. I may go ahead and get one to see how it does. Or I could go with another option - a couple of window-mount heat pumps. Not cheap, though!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

Thanks for the update.

One thing I learned when researching "heaters" - when the vendor says "this will heat a two car garage", you need to define "heat". If the heater raises the temp five degrees, it's heating, whether the garage was 20 degrees or 70 degrees. It's the air circulation and the BTU capacity - not just "this one heats".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

I have one of those in the garage, different make but same BTU. I have it set at 40 degrees and it works very well. If I want to work in the garage in cold weather, I just turn it up. My garage is 25X36 and well insulated doors, walls and ceiling. It does make the meter move a little faster! PJ

Much faster!

Remember, Never Forget
    We Live In The Land of The Free
    Because of The Brave

How good it feels, the hand of an old friend! Longfellow

Freshman Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a well insulated (3 overhead doors, 2 man doors & 2 windows approximately 45' x 35' with 12 foot ceiling.
    I bought a heater very similar to 'glemon' and have had it for 2 winters now. I also installed a 52" five speed ceiling fan in the center of the garage. I have been very satisfied with the results. addition to the electric bill is less than I expected and I have heated it to about 55 degrees with the outside temperature at -16 degrees. The ceiling fan circulates the air & also helps cool in the summer.