• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shop Heater

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I am in the process of building a garage with a separate shop I plan to heat. I will have 220 volts in my garage at long last. I want to get an electric heater (I had a propane wall heater, didn't care for the open flame and fumes that built up by the time it got warm).

Shop will be approx. 17 x 21'. It looks like there are lots of options. Any recommendations? I won't be running it all the time, just when I am out there, want something reasonably quiet.

Thanks, Greg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Greg - if that shop area is insulated, (and you're ok with electric heat being *expensive to operate*), I'd sure recommend 220 volt electric baseboard systems. Like:

https://www.grainger.com/product/31LK62

098319861191.jpg

Completely quiet, available from Lowes and HD, install yourself, heat from the ground up, easily configured to your available wall space.

Tom M.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Heated floor. Not necessarily the whole shop, but, where your tools are and under one car.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Overhead infrared heaters... they heat you and not the space.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks guys, interesting ideas, all different than the big box hanging from the ceiling I was looking at.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Waste oil heater? British cars use a lot of oil.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Waste oil heater? British cars use a lot of oil.

Now I know the reason I've kept a few gallons of waste oil around here... at least it sounds like a good excuse for the procrastination over transporting it to the recycle joint. :wink:

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have purchased and installed my heater and am happy with the choice.

https://www.landmsupply.com/departm...w-electric-utility-heater-with-remote-control

I am not out there all the time, nor do I want it heated all the time, but when I do go out I want to be able to quickly and easily heat the area. This fits the bill for that purpose. I like the idea of a heated floor, but a little late in the game to go that route, and I don't think it would probably heat up quickly like I want.

I have worked in unheated garage space for over 40 years, and remember helping my brother change a clutch on a Sprite probably in 74 or 75 in an unheated, detached garage when it was below zero out. Have been working in only slightly better conditions since, is nice to have the heat. Know a lot of people have similar now, but between that and my riding mower I got a couple years ago I truly feel like I am living like a king, or at least a very fortunate man.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Whoa - now that looks like one powerful heater. 25K btu's - could probably heat my whole house!

Congrats on the improvements. I've been working in unheated garage (or driveway) for 20+ years. Riding mowers, snow blowers, and heated garages are definitely signs of human development. Plus single malt scotch.

Tom M.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I have purchased and installed my heater and am happy with the choice.

https://www.landmsupply.com/departm...w-electric-utility-heater-with-remote-control

I am not out there all the time, nor do I want it heated all the time, but when I do go out I want to be able to quickly and easily heat the area. This fits the bill for that purpose. I like the idea of a heated floor, but a little late in the game to go that route, and I don't think it would probably heat up quickly like I want.

I have worked in unheated garage space for over 40 years, and remember helping my brother change a clutch on a Sprite probably in 74 or 75 in an unheated, detached garage when it was below zero out. Have been working in only slightly better conditions since, is nice to have the heat. Know a lot of people have similar now, but between that and my riding mower I got a couple years ago I truly feel like I am living like a king, or at least a very fortunate man.

How large an area does that heat? I'm using a small propane space heater, but have been looking for something more substantial for my garage. I don't need a sauna, but it would be nice to take the chill off...

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Mickey - I think he said earlier the shop is 17 x 21.

I'm pretty sure he's heating the shop, not the garage.

T.

Ah, so - missed that first post. Looks like I'll need a couple of those, if I decide to pursue it.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, I put it into heat the shop. I built a three stall garage, the third stall is larger and walled off from the rest.

Still in progress and not sealed up real well. Based on online reviews the heater should be able to heat a two stall pretty easily, three stall may be a stretch unless very well sealed and inulated.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yes, I put it into heat the shop. I built a three stall garage, the third stall is larger and walled off from the rest.

Still in progress and not sealed up real well. Based on online reviews the heater should be able to heat a two stall pretty easily, three stall may be a stretch unless very well sealed and inulated.

Yeah, mine is a three stall, but it is well insulated. Doors (three) and windows (two) are as well. I may go ahead and get one to see how it does. Or I could go with another option - a couple of window-mount heat pumps. Not cheap, though!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks for the update.

One thing I learned when researching "heaters" - when the vendor says "this will heat a two car garage", you need to define "heat". If the heater raises the temp five degrees, it's heating, whether the garage was 20 degrees or 70 degrees. It's the air circulation and the BTU capacity - not just "this one heats".

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have one of those in the garage, different make but same BTU. I have it set at 40 degrees and it works very well. If I want to work in the garage in cold weather, I just turn it up. My garage is 25X36 and well insulated doors, walls and ceiling. It does make the meter move a little faster! :rolleyes2: PJ

Much faster! :greedy_dollars:

Spit451

Freshman Member
I have a well insulated (3 overhead doors, 2 man doors & 2 windows approximately 45' x 35' with 12 foot ceiling.
I bought a heater very similar to 'glemon' and have had it for 2 winters now. I also installed a 52" five speed ceiling fan in the center of the garage. I have been very satisfied with the results. addition to the electric bill is less than I expected and I have heated it to about 55 degrees with the outside temperature at -16 degrees. The ceiling fan circulates the air & also helps cool in the summer.