• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil Filters and Oil Filters.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Paul. I have both Fram and Wix numbers for the Prefect oil filter. Guess I know which to use in future.

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I always thought the toilet paper filter was the worst.

Maynard

D

Deleted member 8987

Actually the Frantz TP Filter was the best for the older bypass systems. You just had to stay on top of the change cycle.

Still available, but the cheap TP now is questionable.

The quality of filters?

DECADES ago we had those cut open in parts stores. FRAM always was the wurst.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I use NAPPA filters in my vehicles and tractors and have for quite some time. Even though it's rating is very high, I try to stay on top with my oil changes and naturally a new filter is always in the program. Saying that, the guy in the video only tested 6 filters that I could see, which doesn't mean that there aren't other good filters out there. I would assume that top oil companies would not recommend a filter that wasn't up to high standards plus put their name on it.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Wow. Very interesting. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 8987

If I recall, the best oil filters were Hastings. Still available, I think, but your average discount parts houses have no idea.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Years ago Hasting filters were on top for quality, but if a take over has been in the works in the past, places of manufacture can change, some with poor results in a reduction of quality. Don't know about Hastings, but some others have had this happen and their not the same as before. I would pull one apart before rating one. If the internals look like a Fram, I would avoid it.JMHO. PJ

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Probably my inexperienced eye, but the guy's "quality" judgments seems a bit fuzzy. And did he ever actually check the effectiveness of the coiled up filter materials?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That deteriorating cardboard and filter media gave me enough for me to decide. I've been using Wix and Mobil 1 for a while now. Purolator has also seen service here.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I had already moved to Wix.

Question though. (to me) Fram is by far the filter in that list with the greatest brand recognition. I remember the stp stickers and the mooneyes stickers and the fram stickers. were they ever good? or was it always marketing?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I switched to WIX and NAPA Gold years ago.
The local NAPA had a display with their filter and Fram cut apart to show the difference... I never looked back.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I had already moved to Wix.

Question though. (to me) Fram is by far the filter in that list with the greatest brand recognition. I remember the stp stickers and the mooneyes stickers and the fram stickers. were they ever good? or was it always marketing?

Yes.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Doing a search using the questions "are Fram filters junk?" and "are Fram filters bad" one finds folks on forums bad mouthing Fram's construction practices as far back as April of 2002 and continuing to now (there's much discussion on bobstheoilguy). Supposedly their use of cardboard to manufacture the ends started in 1966.