• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Some help with Army medals please

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
While looking for some items today I came across a box with my dad's Army medals from WWII.
The only one that I can identify easily is the Purple Heart that he received.
The first pic shows the Purple Heart and there is a small medal at the bottom of the box... What is that medal for?
The second pic shows two medals; A small rectangular medal with an arrowhead and three stars and a larger blue medal with a rifle on it (I remember my dad mentioning that he carried a BAR)
Can anybody tell me what the three medals are?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

IMG_3563.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3562.jpg
    IMG_3562.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3563.jpg
    IMG_3563.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 15
OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The blue one with the rifle is the "Combat Infantry" badge the striped one is the "Europe/Africa/Middle East" service ribbon, the stars on it are battle stars. I believe, that the arrowhead denotes Operation Overlord, meaning that your dad was there at D-Day.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The "multi color" ribbon is the European Theater Campaign ribbon, with one arrowhead and three bronze stars. Note the colors grouped in three: Italy, France, and (I think) Occupied Germany.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The blue one with the rifle is the "Combat Infantry" badge the striped one is the "Europe/Africa/Middle East" service ribbon, the stars on it are battle stars. I believe, that the arrowhead denotes Operation Overlord, meaning that your dad was there at D-Day.
Thanks Walt... yes, my dad was there on D-Day. In fact, when I was 15 years old he took me back to southern France to show me where he came up on the beach.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
BONUS... I just found his dog tag!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That stuff tells a hellofa story. Much respect, Elliot.

Some of the tales I heard from my dad after I'd come home from "our" war (he didn't talk much about it before then), were interesting. He ran into a cousin on D-Day, never saw him again until they both got home.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That stuff tells a hellofa story. Much respect, Elliot.

Some of the tales I heard from my dad after I'd come home from "our" war (he didn't talk much about it before then), were interesting. He ran into a cousin on D-Day, never saw him again until they both got home.
Doc- I have a negative from a newspaper with a photo of my dad and his brother meeting in France on VE Day. It was totally unplanned but somehow they managed to meet up. A couple of years ago I took the neg into my darkroom and made a print and had it framed.

Edit.... THANKS for the kind words Doc. BOTH of our dads were members of the Greatest Generation!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
One of my all-time favorite photos from that Generation:

Eisenhower_d-day.jpg

Ike knew there was a *high* probability that the Invasion would fail. Here he's talking with paratroops before they left for Normandy.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Elliot said:
THANKS for the kind words Doc. BOTH of our dads were members of the Greatest Generation!

Welcome. And certainly true. :iagree:

Mert

The blue bar in the bottom of the Purple Heart case, is the Presidential Unit Citation award given to a military unit for combat recognition and/or service. The purple ribbon above the medal is for uniform display.