• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Source for Elevator Bolts?

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi All. I need a source for a couple elevator bolts. They look to be 3/16" fine by 3/4" long. They hold my license plate light bracket on the rear bumper. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Kevin

dklawson

Yoda
I have only seen elevator bolts available from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) However, the smallest I saw when checking their website tonight was 1/4-20. That 3/16 you are looking for will be either 10-24 or 10-32. If I see/find anyone carrying them I'll post back.

Elevator bolts are usually used in places where you need to spread the load out over a large area and have minimal space for tall fastener heads. I am sure you can improvise with something. Since I am not familiar with your application I cannot make many suggestions.

Have you considered taking a Tee-Nut and Loctiting a #10 stud into it? That would be very similar to an elevator bolt.
Tee-Nut page at McMaster: https://www.mcmaster.com/tee-nuts

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I was wondering if it were the 10/32 too. I went to Rimmer Bros, and they listed the nuts as 3/16" fine. Is this the same thing as 10/32?

ed_h

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Carriage bolts are pretty close, and McMaster carries 10-32 and 10-24.

Ed

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Any chance they meant 3/16 British Standard Fine? Very similar to 10-32, just .0025" smaller diameter. And 55 degree threads instead of 60.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
The nuts are listed at Rimmer Bros. as 3/16 unf. Kind of suprised the big four carry the nuts but not the bolts. The bolts hang down through the bumper and get rusted. If I can't find the correct elevator bolts, I will try using the carriage bolts. Worst case scenario is I could grind the heads flat. Still hoping to find the correct bolts. I will keep McMasters in mind though-thanks.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
FWIW - my local Ace Hardware carries elevator bolts though whether they have them that small I cannot say.

My machine shop consists of an angle grinder, drill press and bench grinder - I'd be looking to make something that would do the job.

dklawson

Yoda
I don't know the details of the TR6 license plate light. However, if an elevator bolt or carriage bolt is appropriate for this application, it is unlikely that the thread type or pitch is important. Regardless of the original pitch, you will need the correct new nuts to go with your new fastener.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Could it be an 8/36?

FlyingCat

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
It may not be what you have in mind, but Ace Hardware (at least, the one down from my house) carries elevator bolts.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
But come to think of it
Isn't the screw part of the base and not separable

dklawson

Yoda
Measurements with a set of calipers and a couple of pictures would help.

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have only seen elevator bolts available from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) However, the smallest I saw when checking their website tonight was 1/4-20. That 3/16 you are looking for will be either 10-24 or 10-32. If I see/find anyone carrying them I'll post back.

Elevator bolts are usually used in places where you need to spread the load out over a large area and have minimal space for tall fastener heads. I am sure you can improvise with something. Since I am not familiar with your application I cannot make many suggestions.

Have you considered taking a Tee-Nut and Loctiting a #10 stud into it? That would be very similar to an elevator bolt.
Tee-Nut page at McMaster: https://www.mcmaster.com/tee-nuts

Give that man a cigar! From a fastener size standpoint 10-32 is a nominal 3/16" fine thread. The min and max diameter for the grip area is .186" to .189" for AN3 sized fasteners and threaded to a MIL-STD that covers the entire range of unified threads. I'm not seeing what you want in an elevator bolt but am seeing it in an austenitic CRES carriage bolt from Bolt Depot.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Carriage_bolts_Stainless_steel_18-8_10_(3_16)-32.aspx

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
The bolt can be removed - I removed one. I will borrow my wife's phone when she gets home and try posting a pic. I think I will take a trip to the hardware to try and fit one of the original nuts on to a 10-32 bolt.