• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Under the dash re-assembly sequence

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Under the dash re-assembly sequence, not sure how to explain this, but what should go first under the dash to make the process go as smooth as possible. I am thinking while dash board is off to get the new wiring harness installed then the heater and all the hoses with that. In addition to that, do the defroster vents go on before or after the steering bracket? I would think after because the heaters were an option, but what about the vent alignment. I am also thinking is it possible to but the steering wheel and shafts on with the dash out of the car and the slid the dash in? I am asking because it is so much easier for me to have access with dash out. In the past, I have installed the glove box much later, so I can look up in there better. It has just been so long since I have replaced everything under the dash, I was hoping to learn from others mistakes.

steve

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Wow...Letā€™s see...I think this is the way I would recommend:

1). Wiring harness
2). Wiper tubes and wheel houses
3). Heater with hoses
4). Steering tube with brackets. (If I remember right, the left defrost is held by some of the steering brackets)
5). Defrost vents
6). Dash capping and Dash without instruments
7). Center instrument cluster with wiring and temp capillarychoke cable
8). Speedo and Tach
9). Glove box
10). Carpet
11). Steering wheel

You could do the steering wheel earlier, but it will be a pain working around it for all the driver side instruments, wiring, and carpet. I am sure Iā€™m missing something...but I think this order builds the front up by layers, so you donā€™t have to work through too many previous layers?!?

RJCOX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks Steve for asking the question, and John for answering it! I was just starting to wonder this!

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It is possible to get the heater in later but it is an incredible PITB. You may learn new words.

I have put the wheel on but not tightened the center nut so I can get it off, That helps if you are moving the car.

David

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks you guys. John I totally spaced about the wiper system. Now I hoping I have a functioning set; I think I can cannibalize one. Good point David about the steering wheel. My concern is I have bend moving the car around the garage with the steering box dry, and every time I do when I move the front wheels I get that feeling I should not do that. I have an old stator tube and I could put that in and fill box for now. That would also help check for leaks in the lower seal before I do the complete column assembly and tighten the arm down, but I would make a mess perhaps swapping in a different stator tube.

In addition, I purchased Valvoline 70/90 gear oil for the steering box and wondering what others thought about that.
Steve