• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

computer fans

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Need to know how much heat a computer cooling fan will take, seems like they don't advertise that fact. Need to apply where it pulls heat out, not pushes it out. PJ

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - which fan are you talking about? The power supply fan, or the graphics fan, or the processor fan, etc.?

They all pull air out; I don't think any actually pull air into the case.

Tom M.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Power supply Tom, it gets pretty hot!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OK, so you're asking "how much heat can a power supply cooling fan take".

The fan can take as much heat as the power supply puts out, but that's no guarantee the power supply won't overheat due to age, air flow restriction, dust, etc.

What are you trying to accomplish? Just keep your power supply cooler?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Another question is are you maxing out the PSU? Some graphics cards by themselves will need more watts than what older PSUs are rated for.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Another question is are you maxing out the PSU? Some graphics cards by themselves will need more watts than what older PSUs are rated for.

What I'm also thinking Greg, it's an old gaming computer and it's not up to handling the new stuff, I might just put a new power supply in it and give it to my grandson, or better yet, buy a new PS and let him work on it! :encouragement:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Paul said:
What I'm also thinking Greg, it's an old gaming computer and it's not up to handling the new stuff, I might just put a new power supply in it and give it to my grandson, or better yet, buy a new PS and let him work on it! :encouragement:

Good plan! I try to use Antec PS in any client builds or replacements, some of the others seem to over-rate output. Gamer box? Go with 650~750W.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Antec 650/750W, Thanks Doc, I'll see if Newegg has them. :encouragement:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I've been using the modular PSUs for several years now. I like them because you only install the cables you need. I recently bought a Raidmax 750. Turns out it matters where you plug the video card in to the PSU. The computer refused to power up until I switched to a PCI-E output on the PSU, the SATA output wouldn't work.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
It gets hot, to the point you can smell it! Not fooling with it anymore and now the grandson wants it to fool with, he's into that stuff. Knowing him, he'll probably spend half the cost of a new one on it souping it up. :highly_amused:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Nvidia just came out with a $2,500 dollar video card that you can link to a second one. Just sayin'.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
2nd Loo son has built 3 lately. He says lots of fans

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag