• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Gained one lost one

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Well, I guess it was meant to be that we took in "Blue" because this morning the "Old Man", Devin, passed away peacefully. Devin was a rescue kitty that was almost 21 years old. We were amazed at how long he lasted and he seemed to have had a pretty good life right up to the end. Never had any major illnesses and seemed have have plenty of energy even in recent days. But it was finally his time. We'll miss the old boy, but now we have a new kitty.

dklawson

Yoda
Our 19 year old rescue cat died a year ago. We waited until retirement to get his replacement (in May). Now we have two cats. Both are rescues. The older one is a nice cat until feeding time. The younger one is little more than a kitten. Their personalities could not be more different. We love them both.

May your bond with the new cat grow as strong as the bond you had with Devin.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Our 19 year old rescue cat died a year ago. We waited until retirement to get his replacement (in May). Now we have two cats. Both are rescues. The older one is a nice cat until feeding time. The younger one is little more than a kitten. Their personalities could not be more different. We love them both.

May your bond with the new cat grow as strong as the bond you had with Devin.

We didn't really plan on taking this little "Blue" in but he kept coming around and it was just so cold out one morning. The amazing this is, she gets along with our other surviving cat, Zulu and also seems quite at home with the Husky (although the Husky thinks it's this kitty's mother).

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Had our kitty to the vet today. Regular checkup but she is getting older. Needed bloodwork and has lost weight so, we are realizing thenday is coming, likely not too soon but still.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Our cat is pushing 14 years old now. Last year it had a severe eye infection and had to have it removed. Man, you don't want to know what that cost! Slowed her down for about a week, but doesn't seem to have lost any depth perception. She has a great personality and loves people.

DSC_3350s.jpg

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
I am so sorry for what you must be feeling. Just hold to those memories.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I am so sorry for what you must be feeling. Just hold to those memories.

Here is Devon in better days. He was a rescue kitty that we got from the Animal Shelter. He was all white and deaf. He used to love sleeping on top of the dryer (it was warm).

As a kitten shortly after we got him:
Devon-0097.jpg

More recent - on top of the dryer
Devon-3908.jpg

Just a couple days before Devon passed, we took in this little Blue (We named Blue) on morning when it was very cold out. She gets along well with our other cat and the Huskey as well.

IMG_4076.jpg

Here is Blue helping herself to the dog's food.

IMG_4075.jpg

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sorry to hear about Devin, at least it sounds like he led a long and happy life. When I was a kid we had a pitbull who thought he was the mom of my mom's Siamese kitten. He used to carry her around in his mouth and give her baths, she was disgusting after having an eighty pound pit slober on her. He grew up thinking he was a cat because when he was a puppy my mom's old cat had taught him how to be a cat. He always gave himself baths and anytime one of my mom's cats had kittens he would help take care of them.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Sorry to hear about Devin, at least it sounds like he led a long and happy life. When I was a kid we had a pitbull who thought he was the mom of my mom's Siamese kitten. He used to carry her around in his mouth and give her baths, she was disgusting after having an eighty pound pit slober on her. He grew up thinking he was a cat because when he was a puppy my mom's old cat had taught him how to be a cat. He always gave himself baths and anytime one of my mom's cats had kittens he would help take care of them.

Yeah, we were very surprised he lasted over 20 years. He did lead a good, healthy life with no major issues. He seemed fine just the day before, but collapsed in the hallway that morning. We laid him on some blankets on the couch and were discussing taking him to the vet when they opened but he expired before we had the chance. Thankfully, he went rather peacefully.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'm getting up there with my dachshund Zeke, who is closing in on 16 years, 7 months. He has been more severely affected by dementia than any of my other previous dachshunds. Every once in a while we see his personality come back, but we know he's put more days behind him than are left in front of him.