• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Second MG tire puncture in less than six months!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And on a set of new Kumho tires. I don't drive through klag, no boonie stomping, all main arteries. Last time was a spiked, threaded metal piece looking like the knob from a DIY 134a "kit" that punctures the can. This time a two-inch piece of an apparent 6D nail, rusty, with no head. Too close to the sidewall to patch. Ordered TWO tubes from Summit, figuring I'll have one on hand when the third time comes around the corner.

Fifty years of driving and until recently could count the number of punctures on three fingers. I guess I'm overdue.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Got any TR neighbors??
Thumbs Up.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not to my knowledge. A 1970 Fiat 124, and a "Pagoda top" Benz, but they're both friends as well as neighbors.

But there is a clan of barbarians two doors away... hmmm...

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Punctures happen. Few years back, I had two not just in the same day, but on the same trip! Was on my way to a date no less (after first wife passed away). Since I only had one spare, the second time I had to call and beg for help! Fortunately I got within a few miles of her place and she didn't mind too much. (She's now my wife.)

Also had a rash of them where I used to work. Apparently there was some construction going on in one of the other buildings in the complex and the workmen were sloppy with screws and such. I finally gathered up 4 or 5 of them and went to the complex manager to complain.

catfood

Jedi Knight
In thirty plus years of driving I have had three punctures. All in the same car within the span of a couple of years (and I only had the car for three years in total). I think some cares attract them! :rolleye:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I got my first car in 1966. From then until last summer - never a puncture or "flat" tire.

Then I got my new Nissan Altima. Within the first 30 days of ownership, the right rear tire went soft due to a bent rim. Got a new tire and rim. One week later, right rear tire went soft - due to a nail.

They're out to get us ...

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Went outside Saturday AM to run the MG to a local Big Box store for a keyboard. A client called early saying their keyboard had quit working. Multiple "dead" keys. Go to the B, left rear FLAT. This was the spare with a tube in it. Had been in the boot for six months holding air. Less than fifty miles and it went flat... pinched inner-tube, installed by Tire Kingdom. Jacked the car up, took the flat spare and the tire with the nail puncture to TK to swap tires/rims and another tube. They did the swap but would NOT install another tube in the spare. The sales minion had called the GM and was told not to do it. I guess the TK tire busters are not experienced enough to put a tube in a rim! Next stop, a Goodyear store we've known for a couple decades. Surely they've got ~someone~ who knows the procedure. If we still had the shop this would have been a no-brainer. *sheesh*

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Someone refused to put a tube in a tire? That is nuts, next thing I'll hear is that shops are no longer patching tires.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
They knew they'd "pinched" the last one and likely had nobody in the shop who'd ever put a tube in a car tire. Got it sorted today.

Country flag
I feel for you and puncturing a new tire. When I bought the daily driver Toyota clipped a piece of road debris which punctured a sidewall less than 5 miles after pickup. Of course warranty didn't cover it. But figured I'd get away with just replacing the one tire rather than the recommended both since little nubs hadn't even worn off yet.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
As far as I remember the UK and probable all of the EU have not repaired tires for years. Use to have to vulcanize the patch then they banned patching. Things may have changed as this was in the 1970s

David

Someone refused to put a tube in a tire? That is nuts, next thing I'll hear is that shops are no longer patching tires.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
What sort of tubes are you using?

Radials. Wasn't the tube, it was the tire buster on short salary and no training IMO. Nobody uses tubes anymore. "Old School" tire tech is mostly lost to history.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I had a 73 XJ6 and just pit a new set of Michelins with tubes on. Coming home from work the next day on a 6 lane interstate, saw blue smoke out the back and puled over thinking I had an oil leak. Rt rear tire down and hot and smoking. Removed with gloves and threw in ditch of water. Went to dealer and got a new tire and tube. Next day same thing happened, so I went to another dealer, a truck center, and explained what was happening. I left the Jag and got a phone call in a couple hours and they said it was done. Dropped in and was told they replaced all 4 tubes as the new Michelin tubes had pinhole leaks in them. Went back to the original dealer and showed them the tubes and actually was reimbursed for the tubes and install fees. The heavy duty truck tubes lasted another 5 yrs when I sold the Jag.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Larry said:
The heavy duty truck tubes lasted another 5 yrs when I sold the Jag.

:thumbsup:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"As far as I remember the UK and probable all of the EU have not repaired tires for years. Use to have to vulcanize the patch then they banned patching."

Wow, at one time I patched my fair share of tubes and tires. I worked in a tire shop for about a year in college. I was the only young guy who wasn't afraid to break down truck tires (everyone had heard about the "widowmakers" and assumed split rings were the same as the old Firestone split rims and so they refused to work on them), as a result I wound up mostly doing truck tires. The owner of the shop was sad to see me leave when I got a work study job the next year. I did stay in pretty good shape rolling around 10.00/20s all day and the money was good.

'"Old School" tire tech is mostly lost to history.'

It's a shame but it is also the way of the world.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have the ORIGINAL tubes I installed in the tires of my Lambretta; I put new ones in in 1969.... yes, really!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I prefer patches over plugs every time.