• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mystery Ship

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
For several days, a big ugly ship has been anchored in Long Island Sound about 2 miles off Greenwich Point. I took pictures today and enlarged them on the computer. The ship is the Chipolbrok Pacific out of HongKong. What its doing parked in the middle of the Sound I have no idea. I looked it up online. It was built 2015 in Shanghai and is owned by a Chinese-Polish company. What's more, you can check out any registered ship in the world at any time to see where it is. Amazing. I'll try to post a picture. I'll have to reduce its size. Check out its specs online. Chipolbrok Pacific (2).jpgChipolbrok Pacific (2).jpg

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Some kind of cargo ship it appears. Any idea what sort of stuff they haul?

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
It came over here at one time with huge propellers for wind farms. The 3 cranes on deck are capable of lifting 700 tons. The name Chipolbrok appears to be an acronym of CHIna, POLand and BROKer. Joint venture from the days when both countries were Communist. Plenty of stuff online for those who are interested, including a video of the ship under way.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
From the pic you posted it looks high in the water; probably off-loaded it's cargo.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Took a walk this afternoon on Pear Tree Point aka Long Neck Point aka Collender's Point in Darien. The ship was still at anchor. One hour later, she was gone. We searched in vain. She's apparently bound for Antwerp - probably to pick up a load of Carlsberg Beer, some Danish Blue Cheese and some prune Danish. Rare we get these big guys in L I Sound - mostly barges and tugs with a few oyster dredges.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Why would she load Danish goods rather than chocolate, mussels, and Stella Artois?

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Oh s$#t! I confused Denmark and Belgium. Didn't remember Belgium had a seaport. Of course it would take on a load of Stella, some mussels as you say, Belgian lace and cases of that awful saison flavored ale. Present position of ship is off Rhode Island in the Atlantic. She's making 8.4 knots - about as fast as Tom's MG TD.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Unless it rains.