• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Happy Black Friday!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
WOW! No matter how you spin it, that just sounds weird..

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
WOW! No matter how you spin it, that just sounds weird..

Careful - this thread could turn dark too :wink:

cqwsxmynvldrhtx9mqky.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Good morning BCFers! I'm sitting here on Black Friday morning sipping a cup of Black Rifle Coffee!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Funny, I've the last cup of Death Wish in me mit. I'll watch th' chaos of today's frenzy on th' tellie. No intention to venture out further than the local QuikRip.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
There was an interesting article in the local paper several years ago.

"The true cost of the $19.99 CD player" CD player probable dates it a bit. It went into the labor in China, shipping costs cut to the bone and suppliers on a razor thin margin.

David

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
And now, back to our regular programming. Did anyone venture out on Black Friday? I stayed safe and warm at home!

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
We walked to the coffee shop in the AM and went out to eat with my parents in the evening as we didn't get to see them Thursday. Absolutely no shopping. From what I could tell talking with the guys at the coffee shop and restaurant, the whole Black Friday phenomenon seems to have peaked and is on the downward slope. They said not nearly as many people are out as there used to be.

The wife and I adopted a minimalist lifestyle a few years ago as way to at least partially check out of the rot of our consumerist society and to move toward 100% debt free so we could retire early. We donated or sold everything that wasn't being used regularly and wasn't likely to be used in the near future. Got rid of the TV, so we aren't exposed to the constant drone of "buy, buy, buy". You'd be surprised how much of the different seasons to a year are "dictated" by the commercials telling you what time of year it is and what you should be buying because of it.

The best advice I've heard on the subject: Keep only those things that you know to be useful or think to be beautiful.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
We weren't about to venture out into the breach. But I did score one Black Friday item online: a new Roku Ultra streaming device for the den from Amazon. We'll be leaving Direct TV next month when our contract runs out, and switching over to YouTube TV now that they offer local programming. Too far away from Knoxville and too many trees and hills to overcome to pick up local stations, so we've had to depend on cable/satellite. Looking forward to saving about half our monthly cost, and dealing with outages.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Al E. said:
The best advice I've heard on the subject: Keep only those things that you know to be useful or think to be beautiful.

As a member of the Boomer generation, parents who lived through the depression, came of age and survived WW-II, the urge to save EVERYTHING is strong here. An empty coffee container is potentially useful, as are shopping bags. Bits of metal left over from a project could serve as material in another job... fighting the urge to stash 'stuff' is difficult.

Case in point: Mits' is a commercial artist, saw a piece of insulated wire I'd cut off to change something or other at the end, grabbed it from the bin and repurposed it:

wiredog1.JPG

Is it "sculpture" or scrap... either way it's been on a shelf in the living room for a decade. :highly_amused:

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
We made a quick run to the Walmart in Edmond, OK with our son and his wife so tbey could buy gifts for a forster children program around 10:30 am. We were very surprised by the lack of a crowd. Happily surprised I might add.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
No Friday shopping from me; just the pictures of the crowds turn me off. For the holidays, I usually make useful gifts for friends, rather than buying them things they don't need. I remember this cartoon from my teen years:

dennis-christmas.jpg

While continuing work on the church organ restoration, I nibbled turkey leftovers (burp) and enjoyed (?) the neighbor's kids racing around on ATV's. yeesh

Doc - that insulated cable puppy is really clever. Remember the WW2 motto: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"?

Tom M.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Welcome to OK Bob. I visited the Home Depot in Edmond yesterday (about 10 miles from home) and didn't find what I needed. I too was a little surprised at how little extra traffic there was.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[/COLOR]

As a member of the Boomer generation, parents who lived through the depression, came of age and survived WW-II, the urge to save EVERYTHING is strong here. An empty coffee container is potentially useful, as are shopping bags.

We save shopping bags - they get used for, among other things, a way to dispose of kittle litter. I have many coffee cans full of assorted nuts and bolts and screws and washers! Unless a screw or nut is really in bad shape, it gets saved for possible re-purposing someday.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I went shopping yesterday - for the usual Friday groceries. I read in the paper that the crowds were smaller, but I heard that the crowds were huge at the outlets in Livermore on Thursday (ugh).

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I went shopping yesterday - for the usual Friday groceries. I read in the paper that the crowds were smaller, but I heard that the crowds were huge at the outlets in Livermore on Thursday (ugh).

There, see - we dont' need a black Friday if we're now turning Thanksgiving itself black.

yeesh

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Had not intended to go anywhere on Black Friday but I did need some new running shoes and the Running shoe store had a special on. Buy one and get the second half off.
Going out out mid morning the streets were unusually quiet almost like a Sunday morning.

Of course they did not have the shoes I wanted but they had next years model which were much more expensive. I had seen that one of the sports goods stores had the shoes I wanted on sale. The store must have been a mad house earlier judging by the Disney style lanes for checkout.
They had the shoes I wanted and cheaper than the other store so I got 2 pairs. If you find something that works stock up because they WILL CHANG it. In and out in less than 20 minutes.

David

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I bought 4 pairs of my favorite running shoes several years ago. Dont regret it in the least, still on a pair, though may be switching here soon.. didnt do too much on black Friday, just moving to a new house on monday so dealing with all of that.