• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ford Trimotor - or, what I did Sunday Afternoon

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Great photos, great aircraft, and great music! The 5AT was quite an aircraft for its time. One minor drawback - the crew and passengers were usually deaf and frozen for several hours after a flight due to engine noise and lack of cabin insulation.

Believe it or not, that aircraft has a direct connection to ...

640px-Stout_Scarab.jpg

Were they giving visitors rides in the aircraft? I remember a demo about 20 years ago, with a modern pilot testing the stability and controls of the 5AT. He got to altitude (5000 ft), then yanked back on the yoke. Nothing happened for about five seconds. He pushed the yoke full forward. Nothing happened for about five seconds. He jerked the yoke left, then right - same very slow response. His report: It's very stable. (He also said that the nose engine was pretty much ineffective, and was probably added to give passengers confidence in case one of the wing engines failed.)

Thanks for posting.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I had a ride in the tri-motor some years ago at the EAA Show in Oshkosh, WI.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes, and my grin from ear to ear.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
True story. Summer 1965. me, a student pilot, less than 20 hours, flying Piper Colt - 2 seat version of Tri-Pacer with no flaps, practicing touch and goes at Westchester County Airport in White Plains (KHPN). Downwind leg. Called tower. "You'll be following a Ford Tri-Motor turning base to final". Huh? I thought it was the twilight zone, but there it was, probably flying slower than I was.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
True story. Summer 1965. me, a student pilot, less than 20 hours, flying Piper Colt - 2 seat version of Tri-Pacer with no flaps, practicing touch and goes at Westchester County Airport in White Plains (KHPN). Downwind leg. Called tower. "You'll be following a Ford Tri-Motor turning base to final". Huh? I thought it was the twilight zone, but there it was, probably flying slower than I was.

Durn' near wet meself laughin'!!!

As for the tri-motor and Basil's vid, my choice for music instead of the "eight to the bar" woulda been THIS.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
A neighbor of mine took a ride in a tri-motor when it stopped at our local airport. It didn't bother his hearing - he couldn't hear before he went, or after.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Very nice. Not sure why the center motor/prop would be less effective than the wing ones since they appear to be identical. At $75 I'd have been in line twice at least. I paid WAY more than that to get 30 minutes in a B17 about 10 years ago, and don't regret one dime of it. Nothing sounds like multiple radials - shook the batteries out of my camera on taxi, and turned to liquid glass on takeoff.