• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Smiths Heater rebuild.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
[h=2]Smiths Heater rebuild.[/h]
I had posted this in the Triumph section then thought that other makes of LBC may also use the same heater.

The heater I acquired for my TR3A had a very small leak and I decided that trying to repair it or replacing the core with another 50 year old core was not the best idea so I started looking for other ideas.
A core is available from Moss and Rimmer but they are very expensive. I looked at the build it yourself core and started to check on parts but decided to keep looking on the Net.
I came across the site of what I think is the replacement core manufacturers and the price was much better. Further digging I stumbled on Holden Classic in the UK and they had the core with the shorter clips that are needed to hold the heater together and they had the best price so I ordered a core on Monday night. It arrived on Friday morning!!

The Core.

I realized that the water connection pubes are longer than the original core and would stick up too high so I made 3 extended studs to position the heater assembly lower in the bracket. The new studs lower the heater about 2"

The fan clamp would position the fan too low in the case so I had to cut the clamping collar down to about 3/8" and added a clamping collar to give me plenty of material for a clamping screw. I also installed the fan with the clamping collar away from the heater motor and the collar flush with the end of the shaft. The fan then cleared both the case and core.

Fitting the heater was a little easier because I had a little more room for the hoses and clearance for the defrost duct.
I ran the car and was pleased with the heat output. Not having run with the old core I had nothing to judge the output to but It seemed good.

David​

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D TR2/3/3A Smiths Heater rebuild. Triumph 2
T TR2/3/3A Smiths Heater Checkout Triumph 7
J Help with Smiths heater. Other British Cars 4
W 100-4 Smiths heater clips Austin Healey 11
luke44 TR2/3/3A TR3 Smiths Heater Plate Triumph 3
Tinkerman Smiths Heater Lables Triumph 11
angelfj1 Link to Smiths Heater Article Now Fixed Triumph 0
angelfj1 How To Restore a Smiths Heater Restoration & Tools 8
angelfj1 Smiths Heater - Completely Restored Triumph 3
angelfj1 Weekend Project- Smiths Heater Restoration Triumph 13
angelfj1 Smiths heater Parts Triumph 8
S Which Smiths heater in '65 AC Cobra? Other British Cars 5
T T-Series smiths or arnolt heater installation in an MGTD MG 1
RJS TR4/4A Smiths Oil Temp Gauge Triumph 11
S WANTED: Healey BN1 "Smiths" Fuel Gauge (Dead or Alive) Austin Healey Classifieds 3
nichola TR6 Smiths volt gauge needle barely moves Triumph 25
T Wanted Smiths fuel gauge for Mk 1 Bugeye Sprite [FG2530/31] Spridgets Classified 1
RAC68 Calibrate Smiths Tachometer Austin Healey 12
B For Sale Austin Healey 100 Smiths Fuel Gauge, Dual Safety Gauge, Speedometer and Tachometer Austin Healey Classifieds 0
angelfj1 TR2/3/3A Restoring Smiths heaters as fitted to a 1959 Triumph TR-3A Triumph 4
Jim_Gruber Source for Smiths Gauges in UK I believe Spridgets 7
B Smiths RVI Positive Ground Tachometer Bench Test ? Austin Healey 24
drambuie Converting a smiths clock to positive ground Austin Healey 12
G help id this smiths speedo Other Cars 2
K Smiths Electric Temperature Gauge Triumph 7
Tinkerman Jaeger and Smiths Speedometers Triumph 5
RJS Smiths PCV Valve Differences? Triumph 2
M Smiths Fuel Tank Sending Unit Austin Healey 3
R smiths guage problem- need advice Austin Healey 4
M Smiths fuel tank sending unit Triumph 1
C Smiths or Lucas Gauge? Triumph 8
58Custom New! Schematic for Smiths RVI tachometer Spridgets 9