Thread: Rechrome Advice

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rechrome Advice

Hi All -

Looking to have my windshield assembly and vent window assemblies rechromed over the winter on my BJ7 and I didn't know if anyone had any advice or recommendations on who to have it done by. The parts aren't in too bad shape, no real pitting. Only one small crack on one of the vent window assemblies. I want to get it done before I put a new top on. I realize I will probably have to ship it somewhere. In Western Maine access to services like this are EXTREMELY limited.

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: Rechrome Advice

Might be a little far for you but I had my BJ8 WS frame rechromed a couple of years ago by Dans Chrome in Savannah, TN. Along with several other pieces. Very happy with work. Don't have the number handly but I'm sure you could goggle him.
    Marv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A few years ago I had some chrome work done by a smallish shop in Holyoke Ma. On the next table to my parts was a complete set of chrome parts for a MB300SL (quite a recommendation). I can't find their business card but the contact was an Irishman named Mickey. Bob C
    Thank goodness the MG is finally gone, replaced by another Corvette

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    Hi All -

Looking to have my windshield assembly and vent window assemblies rechromed over the winter on my BJ7 and I didn't know if anyone had any advice or recommendations on who to have it done by. The parts aren't in too bad shape, no real pitting. Only one small crack on one of the vent window assemblies. I want to get it done before I put a new top on. I realize I will probably have to ship it somewhere. In Western Maine access to services like this are EXTREMELY limited.

Thanks
    Find out where the local Harley guys take their parts for chrome plating. They do like the bling!

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You might ask at a wooden boat restoration shop - lots of chrome that needs to be durable on a vintage wooden boat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Wherever you go, take pictures of your "group" of parts before you send it out! Make an 8x10 print and include it sealed in a page-protector along with your shipment. Put your name, phone number (at a minimum) printed IN the image; email and return ship to address won't hurt either. Simple part description also a benefit.

If you've ever been in a plating plant__literally H-E-L-L on earth__it is a miracle (and a compliment to all the good shops) that ANY part EVER gets returned to its owner; there are just so many stations that a part can be mislaid, let alone fall off a rack and settle into the abyss at the bottom of the tanks (several, when you include cleaning/acid or caustic, copper, nickel, chrome and rinses). Equally amazing that anybody walks out alive; I rank plating shops as one of the most dangerous places I've ever worked! But for all our's sake, I hope they're not banned any time soon...

Disclaimer, I've never fought in any of our country's battles, so plating shops stop short of being shot at, as far as occupational hazards go.

I had mine (100/6) done by Al's Polishing Shop in Toledo, Ohio, when I lived there. When I took the parts in, I was warned that the process may not "throw" enough material under the drip-lip at the leading edge of the top header, but it was certainly done well enough for me (and I'm hard to please).

(address & cell # blanked out for www posting only)

These three (3) images represent ALL the post-manufacture chrome plating work that I have ever had done, and in my case, everything turned out great; no parts were lost or damaged, and all plated to a high__in my opinion__level of quality and originality. Additionally, the chrome plating has held up fantastically (>14 yrs later) and still looks as good as when I first got them back.

I hope that you have at least as good of luck!

One (1) last note, and that would be to thoroughly research the method to replace the rivets that secure your vent window hinges; I'd read up on that task years ago, making me thankful to have sidescreens instead.
    http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/image.php
    57 Healey BN6L-942 Wine Red/Honey Tan
    99 BMW M Coupe EB w/ ES/TS & 99 M Rdstr BK/BK
    01 BMW M Rdstr Steel Gray Performance Center (factory) Delivery
    16 X5M/DINAN Stg II Mineral White Metallic Wife's 716 hp/702 Lb-ft Turbo Hauler

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I used a shop in Fall River, MA to rechrome my bumpers. Instead, he sold me for $750 someone else's set, already plated, keeping mine. Unfortunately, I believe he was later arrested for keeping both parts and money. Had one awful time getting those bumpers to fit and finally had to take the car into a shop where it took 2 strong men to line up the bolts. I got his name from Hemmings - you might look there.

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try 0000 steel wool first.

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Resurrection of old thread.
    Randy, or other chrome experts. I'm sending my chrome out to be redone. Spokewith the owner of a place in Syracuse that's been around since 1960s.

Questions. 1) Chrome plating on steel is done with nickel then chrome? 2) No copper layer is needed? 3) What is meant by three layers?Are three layers needed?
    Dale
    Last edited by RestoreThemAll; 07-16-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    Dale

BJ7 frame up restoration of "the car that would not be restored"; began Dec. 2005, est. complete 2023

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Yes Three layers are used by the best shops here on the west coast-
    1 Copper
    2 Nickel
    3 Chrome
    1966 Daimler V8 Saloon; Safely Fast, Built to Last & and; Smooth as Glass.
    1966 BJ8 [ 2 ] Lil Red & Miss bLU
    1985 XJ6 Saloon
    1948 & 70 Lincoln continentals
    1973 Volvo P1800ES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

If they dont do the three layers it will peel off . Three layers or your wasting your money .
    "If it aint broke ....dont fix it "
    " Thats not an oil leak ..........its a special automatic British rustproofing system "
    Best Healey in show ABCD Ottawa 2013
    Best Healey in Show Boot n Bonnett Kingston 2013

Luke Skywalker
    Giswil, CH & Fallbrook the Avo Capital, USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Hmmmm. You need to fill and polish...so how does two work?
    Cheers,
    D.
    "If it's got t*ts or tyres, you've got problems"
    www.englishmotorsatfairbrook.org
    TVR Car Club North America Southwest Regional Organiser

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grantura_MKI View Post
    Hmmmm. You need to fill and polish...so how does two work?
    Good chrome shops have guys who can work the piece and get dents and dings almost perfect then they do the final “filling” with copper plate to get it really perfect then they do nickel and the final chrome .
    The copper is the filler , if they dont do copper first go somewhere else .
    " Thats not an oil leak ..........its a special automatic British rustproofing system "

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Like I said. It takes three steps.
    We are on the same page here.
    Cheers,
    D.

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I haven't named the company so I feel like I can say this. They claim that copper is a cheaper filler than nickel. Copper is just a money saver for the chrome shop. They only use copper on parts like pot metal or brass. For steel they use nickel only. Can two coats of nickel fill imperfections? They've been in the business a long time, and I have little knowledge.
    Dale

BJ7 frame up restoration of "the car that would not be restored"; began Dec. 2005, est. complete 2023

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Its all about how the metals bond to each other .
    Nickel doesnt bond well to steel but does bond well to copper , also chrome bonds well to nickel but not to copper ,
    yes copper is expensive but the old saying still goes “pay me now or pay me later “
    do it right the first time and it will last .

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RestoreThemAll View Post
    I haven't named the company so I feel like I can say this. They claim that copper is a cheaper filler than nickel. Copper is just a money saver for the chrome shop. They only use copper on parts like pot metal or brass. For steel they use nickel only. Can two coats of nickel fill imperfections? They've been in the business a long time, and I have little knowledge.
    I worked in a platting shop some 45 years ago so take this info as you will.
    Yes copper is cheaper then nickel by about half. But depending on your imperfections and what kind of (perfect) finish you want it could take more then two layers. So that additional cost of Nickel VS Copper is passed onto the customer. If Copper is properly platted to steel there is very little chance of rusting under the platting or pealing. There is a greater chance of that happening when Copper is not used. If I remember correctly Chrome will not stick to copper, but Nickel will, and the Chrome will stick to the Nickel. So that is why Copper first Nickel second then Chrome. If it was me I would call a high end shop or two that deal in automotive chrome restoration and ask about there process. "Queen city plating in Mukilteo Wa". is one . There is another one in Van Nuyes Calif.. no affiliation with either one. Do a google search for Queen city platting and Van Nuys plating checkout their websites phone #'s are there. That will give you feed back from two different high end shops from different parts of the West Coast.

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

You are correct, blue62.
    I once built a rear bumper for a coach built Bentley....that bumper lived in a copper tank until it was perfect. My plater sent it to another one because there tank was larger and could be coated several times and faster than he could do it.
    Cheers,
    D.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Hi Peter,

As many have mentioned, chrome plating is a multi-metal process that will build surface dememtions and releave screw thread depths. As an example, a friend had his windshield rechromed and all parts were returned with the windshield unassembled as requested. As a result of the excess metal, he had an unexpected **** of a time reassembling the unit and had to relieve metal from intersecting components, screws, and brackets.

Keep in mind that the parts you want to rechrome are not 1-piece simplistic as are handles, nobs, bumpers, etc. The windshield is composed of a number of inner and outer components. As a result of water penetrations, it is not uncommon to find the internal components and screwed brackets to be quite deteriorated and very difficult to disassemble. Since many platers will charge quite high rates for disassembly and will often not take responsibility for glass or reassembly, you will be required to supply all to be chromed as a pile of parts. As a result, Randy's suggestions on providing a thorough inventory, with pictures, is an imperative action. However, although documentation is important, loss is not uncommon and the more parts supplied, the high the probability of loss.

Unless you have excess wealth, I suggest you consider dismantle your windshield and wrap and store your windshield glass in a long-term safe place. If your internal brackets are in reasonable condition, clean and coat with preservative at home. Should these brackets be beyond recovery, look to purchase replacements but keep the original as many original brackets have been reshaped over their life and you will want them as guides in adjusting their replacements. Purchase new internal screws and secure taps to assure proper bracket and outer frame reception. Should you want the outer screws chromed with the windshield components, also acquire the proper die to assure you can proper clean the thread of these rechromed screws.

There is always a risk of lost parts or assembly issues any time your send something out or replace an original part. However, that should not deter you from executing your restoration. Have multiple conversations with your vendor and this communication will impose a greater personal relationship to their service and a clear understanding as to what should be expected and delivered.

Enjoy your Healey,
    Ray(64BJ8P1)

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Great advice. I disassembled and cleaned everything. I'm visiting the chrome shop tomorrow. Getting quotes and talking about the process.
    Thank you everyone.
    Dale
    Dale