• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

stator tube nut

stefano rosati

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello everyone, my name is stefano rosati and I am owner of an AH 100 six, I am a new member and as a first question I would like to know how to get to unscrew the stator nut on the steering box. Do you come from below or do you have to disassemble the grid? Grazie a tutti , ciao
Hello everyone, my name is stefano rosati and I am owner of an AH 100 six, I am a new member and as a first question I would like to know how to get to unscrew the stator nut on the steering box. Do you come from below or do you have to disassemble the grid?

Attachments

• IMG_20181014_121944.jpg
    IMG_20181014_121944.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 73

Kainopong

Best way is to turn your wheel to the left and get under the bumper by the front left tire - very easily accessed at that point. My nut was cracked and had to replace it and the olive. To do that you have to cut the wiring at the bullets and re-attach them. Be prepared to top off your steering box too as when you loosen that nut, it will likely leak oil until you tighten it. If your trafficator is spinning in the steering its likely a loose nut/olive at the steering box. Thanks!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Welcome Stefano - I'm going to go ahead and move this to the "Austin Healey" forum here. The "New Member Introduction" forum is just a place to tell us a bit about yourself. If you are reading this then you are actually in the Austin Healey forum. Any time you have specific questions about your Healey it's best to post in the Austin Healey forum.

Welcome aboard,

Basil

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Stefano and Welcome to the Forum.

I appreciate your question and was wondering the reason for it. What problems are you having with your stator tube or steering box?

All the best,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Last edited:
OP
S

stefano rosati

Freshman Member
Country flag
the problem is that the trafficator runs along with the steering wheel so I wanted to check if the nut had loosened.After replacing the original steering wheel with motolita I realized I had pushed the steering wheel too far so that the trafficator no longer blocked with the three headless screws. I was taking a trip and so I stuck it all down with a sticky tape. I then realized that I had done the damage. Thank you and greetings Stefano
il problema è che il trafficator corre insieme al volante, quindi volevo controllare se il dado si era allentato. Dopo aver sostituito il volante originale con la motolita, mi sono reso conto che avevo spinto troppo il volante in modo che il trafficator non fosse più bloccato tre viti senza testa. Stavo facendo un viaggio e così ho bloccato tutto con un nastro adesivo. Poi ho capito che avevo fatto il danno. Grazie e saluti

OP
S

stefano rosati

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thank you very much, it's just as you say the trafficator runs along with the steering wheel. Tomorrow I will check with your suggestions in mind. Thanks again Stefano
Thank you very much, it's just as you say the trafficator runs along with the steering wheel. Tomorrow I will check with your suggestions in mind. Thanks again

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Stefano,

Keep in mind that, on an adjustable steering wheel, the Stator tube and Trafficator tube create an interconnected wiring channel running from the steering wheel through the steering box. The Trafficator tube is the upper section which rides inside the Stator tube and is held in line with a number of raised pegs riding in a slot in the Stator tube. The Stator tube is the lower tube that extends through the steering box and anchored by the lower tube nut. Since the Stator tube slot is meant to anchor the Trafficator tube begs and hold the Trafficator in place and not turn along with the steering wheel. It is not uncommon for a loose steering wheel to twist the Trafficator and its attached tube sufficiently hard to deform the fit between pegs and slot and allow the directional switch to turn with the steering wheel.

To check for and address this condition, I would first remove the steering wheel and pull the Trafficator sufficiently to check the condition of its tube and row of pegs that ride within the Stator slot. Here is a link to the www.Healey6.com web site that is a very good instructional document on the Trafficator and how to rebuild and adjust. I followed this document a while back (www.healey6.com/Technical/Trafficator Repairs.pdf) and found it very helpful.

It is common for the Trafficator tube and its pegs to appear OK but for the Stator tube end to be enlarged with the slot end deformed. I would then remove the Stator tube to see the slot's condition. If it is deformed, I would replace the Stator tube with new. Here is another reference to removing and reinstalling a Stator tube (https://www.healey6.com/Technical/Werner/Stator Tube.pdf) that may also help.

Good luck and please keep us informed on your progress,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

OP
S

stefano rosati

Freshman Member
Country flag
[QUOTE = RAC68; 1097780] Ciao Stefano,

Tenere presente che, su un volante regolabile, il tubo Stator e il tubo Trafficator creano un canale di cablaggio interconnesso che va dal volante attraverso la scatola dello sterzo. Il tubo Trafficator Γ¨ la sezione superiore che scorre all'interno del tubo dello statore ed Γ¨ tenuto in linea con un numero di pioli sollevati che cavalcano in una fessura nel tubo dello statore. Il tubo dello statore Γ¨ il tubo inferiore che si estende attraverso la scatola dello sterzo e ancorato dal dado del tubo inferiore. PoichΓ© la fessura del tubo dello statore serve per ancorare il tubo del Trafficator, si prega di tenere il Trafficator in posizione e non girare con il volante. Non Γ¨ raro che un volante allentato torcisca sufficientemente il Trafficator e il tubo collegato per deformare l'accoppiamento tra i pioli e la fessura e consentire al selettore direzionale di girare con il volante.

Per verificare e risolvere questa condizione, rimuoverei per prima cosa il volante e tirerei sufficientemente il Trafficator per verificare le condizioni del tubo e la fila di pioli che si muovono all'interno dello slot Stator. Ecco un link al sito Web www.Healey6.com che Γ¨ un ottimo documento didattico su Trafficator e su come ricostruire e regolare. Ho seguito questo documento poco fa ( www.healey6.com/Technical/Trafficator%20Repairs.pdf ) e l'ho trovato molto utile.

È comune che il tubo di Trafficator ei suoi picchetti appaiano OK ma che l'estremità del tubo dello statore sia ingrandita con l'estremità della cavità deformata. Vorrei quindi rimuovere il tubo dello statore per vedere le condizioni dello slot. Se è deformato, sostituirei il tubo dello statore con quello nuovo. Ecco un altro riferimento alla rimozione e alla reinstallazione di un tubo Stator ( https://www.healey6.com/Technical/Werner/Stator Tube.pdf ) che potrebbe essere di aiuto.

Buona fortuna e
tienici informati sui tuoi progressi, Ray (64BJ8P1) [/ QUOTE]

Ok I'll try to do something and then I'll let you know. Thanks a lot and greetings Stefano
Ok I'll try to do something and then I'll let you know. Thanks a lot and greetings