• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Engine

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I was told years ago that there was a direct relationship between the Tr7 engine and one of the Saab engines. IIRC it was the Saab 99 , possibly 900. Considering both engines have somewhat of a history of head gasket/ warping problems I'd like to put this to bed once and for all. As I am in the market for a TR7 "project" I'd like to know what to be wary of. Thanks, bob

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
In simple terms, if it is not running, or has been overheated, even "running when parked"; plan on changing the engine.

As I understand it, the SAAB 99 motor started out very similar to the TR7 version, but they made a lot of changes to improve reliability and so on. Might be a good candidate for a swap, if you can find one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_B_engine

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Not only can the head Warp (my brother has had two TR7s for a total of about 30 years with no such problems, so it doesn't always happen) but the heads are notoriously difficult to remove, as the studs not only corrode but are angled, making for some fun with language when you try to take one off.

There are still used parts sitting in garages and shops, and if you get lucky you can pick up a used motor fairly cheaply.

Lastly, people like to put V-6s, or Rover V8s in them too.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I had 1975 TR7 as my only driver for quite a few years. I bought it cheap when it was a few years old because it leaked antifreeze along the head gasket line when sitting overnight. I re-torqued the head, leak stopped and no other issues for as long as I owned it, at least 50k miles. Could be I just got lucky.
Randall's warning above is sound but not limited to the TR7, at least in my experience.
I think the TR7 is a neat little classic that can be enjoyed at minimal cost and decent reliability, even with the original engine.
Tom

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The earliest Saab 99 models used a variation of the 1.7L and then 1.85L engine fitted to the Dolomite and TR7. I don't think any were ever fitted with the twin cam version fitted to the Dolomite Sprint, definitely none for the US market, maybe some other markets. After a few years, Saab changed over to their own engine. Most of the nominal bits were interchangable between the two engine variants used by Triumph and Saab but some specific bits were not. I remember sometimes having to hit up a local Saab dealer and Triumph dealer to make up comprehensive set of valve adjustment shims to work on either as an example.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I could be mistaken, but I don't think you will find any usable tr7 heads just "laying around". Last time I saw one for sale, it was priced somewhere north of $1500. And that was over 10 years ago.

FWIW, the fine folks at ISOA have developed a special tool just to remove the head. IIRC it's free to use, but you have to be a club member, and pay a substantial deposit. Doing it without the custom tool is apt to ruin both head and cylinder block beyond economical repair.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
FWIW, the fine folks at ISOA have developed a special tool just to remove the head. IIRC it's free to use, but you have to be a club member, and pay a substantial deposit. Doing it without the custom tool is apt to ruin both head and cylinder block beyond economical repair.

That would the the TWOA, unless ISOA also has one.

https://www.triumphwedgeowners.org/tr7-head-honcho.html

In any case, a TWOA membership is well worth the cost for any Wedge owner.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Whoops! My mistake, I'm sure Darrell is right.

OP
Bob Claffie

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thank you one and all. You (collectively) have probably saved me from going down a dark and unforgiving trail. I will look elsewhere for an outlet to exercise my urge to restore some ratty LBC. Bob C