• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Been a while Diff question?

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So if you know me it has been a while since I have been here. I am making a effort to get back on track. I have started by finding a shop that is reasonable to blast and powder coat the frame. I am going to go that route as soon as I get the set a side money.
Don’t let that stop me from working on something else. I have started pulling everything off of the rear end, since it is already off of the frame.
the brakes were somewhat welded to the drums but I did get them off. What is the minimum thickness for turning and reusing?
i started cleaning off all of the gunk and trash that was stuck to the diff. When I got down to the paint it had a green blob paint of the cover. what was that for?
i am not sure how to make sure the seals are good?

any suggestions?

regatds,
JP

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I think the green paint means 3.7:1 ratio, from the factory.

Like Peter said...Hey JP!! Glad you're back at work!

The fact you have a lot of crud on the diff is a good indicator that the seals need replacing.

I never found a clear spec on the drums...hopefully someone like Randall knows the measurement. In place of anything in writing or cast on the drum, I figure they are safe until the bevel on the inner edge is gone.

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
93E61D4A-FC1C-4BF8-B61B-E501C384770D.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sorry, I don't have a spec for the drums either.

I'm not a big fan of turning drums anyway; my attitude is that if they are OK, it's a waste to machine away good metal and if they're not OK, they should be replaced. Minor scoring won't hurt anything (except perhaps to shorten brake shoe life a bit); major scoring is cause to replace.

On the seals, I would go ahead and replace all 3 oil seals (pinion and each axle tube) but leave the grease seals in the hubs alone.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
kodanja TR2/3/3A Hey Its been a while Triumph 5
S It's been a while since I posted... Spridgets 13
trrdster2000 GT6 Been a while on a GT6 transmission. Triumph 2
Mickey Richaud Been a While... MG 6
K Apologies! Been a while Triumph 14
ronzet Been a while MG 3
Y Starting a car that has been idle for a long while Lotus 9
S been a while Spridgets 3
Hamish Racing TR2/3/3A 3a driven like it’s been stolen Triumph 3
V MGB Never occurred to me that my '66 would be positive ground. Does the presence of an alternator show that it's been converted? MG 22
R TR6 I just brought this to its new home. It has been stored for 15 years, has only 21000 miles , and only 1000 sincw Triumph 12
angelfj1 TR5/TR250 Starting a TR250 that's been sitting for 10 years Triumph 12
R General Tech Preserve eng/trans that has been removed Triumph 11
S TR2/3/3A I've been wrong for 60+ years: it looks like it's NOT a 1959 Triumph 8
Rut It’s been nice knowing y’all! Spridgets 13
A Spitfire I've been lax on posting - Summer Events Photo Albums - Lots of Pics Triumph 2
D Been waiting for a hot day run Austin Healey 4
Jim_Gruber SUCCESS- VROOM, VROOM has been heard in Beavercreek, OH this evening Spridgets 31
DrEntropy Off Topic Been a busy few months... MG 7
Rhodyspit75 What I've been doing all winter Spridgets 13
SD Bugeye I've been hosed Spridgets 18
S Has it really been 3 years? Spridgets 2
Jim_Gruber Weapons of Mass Destruction Have Been at Work Spridgets 25
T GT6 These sills have been replaced, correct? Triumph 7
H Been at the top of my list for 50 yrs+. Lotus 17
T TR4/4A Under the been there - done that school of learning: TR6 rear springs on a TR4a Triumph 12
Sherlock Spokane Race Track, has anyone been there? Racing 3
JPSmit We've all been there one way or the other Other Cars 3
jaegzie Long time since I've been here but progress has started. Bigeye rebuild Spridgets 9
Howard_The_Duck What I've been fooling with Other Cars 13
WillR MGB Been gone to long... MG 14
regularman when is the next spridget gathering? Its been too long folks :D Spridgets 20
AngliaGT Can't Believe that it's Been Three Years..... MG 3
Lin Didn't realize ethanol had been available commercially for so long! Austin Healey 4
bighealeysource Never been in a Concours - what do I need to do ? Austin Healey 22
J been thinkin'--opinions please Racing 6
MadMarx Have ever been to Spa? Triumph 4
B LONG TIME SINCE I'VE BEEN HERE.so please be gentle MG 27
CZ_Dave Been busy building MG 2
B Randall is correct. This has been a nightmare! Triumph 19
mdionne It appears window has been left open! Spridgets 12
A Been looking to advertise Triumph 2
J Santa must have been to Moss Triumph 8
L TS1 LO HAS BEEN SOLD! Triumph 37
jlaird Been thinking - about time. Spridgets 4
W It's been awhile Triumph 4
RickB Frankie's been whacked!! Spridgets 41