• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Diesela won't go down...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Driver's window motor has konked out, found a replacement on flea-bay. Got it yesterday but... wrong part. Ad said explicitly it was a 14-tooth left front door motor for the W123 chassis. NOT! What was in the box was an eight tooth one. Called the Miami vendor and had a surprisingly pleasant exchange with the parts manager of the outfit. Proper part is now being shipped. At the end of the conversation I mentioned I had a pal with a shop at the northeast end of the same street he was on the southwest part of. They are known to one another! I hope that may increase my chance of actually getting a working window motor. The Bosch version new is N.L.A.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
been dreaming of a diesel W126 - stumbled across this guy:

https://mercedessource.com/

guy has 1000 or so youtube videos and seems to sell a lot of DIY stuff. (his premise is that it is a great car only if you can do most of the work yourself)

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, no replacement yet, got fed up and pulled the original out, spent time disassembling it. Brushes look fine, comm was a bit cruddy. Polished it with #1500 wet-or-dry, reassembled with the case 180° from original. Works FINE now.

The main reason this was done is that this AM I went to meet with my Breakfast Club, pre-dawn, saw the rear window a bit fogged up and hit what I thought was the rear window defroster. Hit the sunroof by mistake. It worked just enough to open the seal and then wouldn't CLOSE the durn'd thing. On returning, decided Diesela and I needed to spend some 'quality time' together.

About a month ago the trunk lock decided to be in the permanently locked mode. Got that opened by going thru the rear shelf by removing the toolkit and not unlike those carnival game crane machines to pick up prizes, spent about half an hour with a piece of 1"x2" and a drywall screw in one end fiddling with pulling the mechanism to a point where I could depress the outside button and get access to the trunk. Disabled the auto-lock gizmoid and now just a matter of using the key. Encouraged, I progressed to the window motor, leaving the sunroof for the last conundrum. Went to some M-B forum answers, most were discouraging, "remove headliner..." etc. I know these mechanisms, most all German cars of the era all used the same one, including Porsce/Audi and I had been trained at Lanham, MD to fix 'em. A real PITA! Sat for a bit, mumblin' to meself, then decided it may be prudent to look in the fusebox first. Spun the designated ceramic fuse a couple times with CRC 2-26 on the fuse tips. YEP!! Sunroof closed!

All-in-all a productive day.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Doc,

One of the problems I have found with bullet proof old cars is that it is all the nickel and dime stuff that drives you up the wall. My Cadillac starts every time and will go down the highway all day long without missing a beat, the drivetrain is neigh indestructible. I am, however, currently rebuilding the window regulators and taking apart all the window switches to clean up the contacts inside so that all the windows in my Caddy will go up and down without a little physical assistance. The switches were crimped and not meant to be opened up but new ones cost $65 a piece and they are made out of plastic so I will just clean up the original ones. Once this job is done I will begin working on the heating and air and the octopus of vacuum lines under the hood and dash that accompany the unit. Then I will move one to possibly the six way power seat that has decided no longer to move or the power top pump which needs a helping hand to make it all the way up or down, I'm not going to even worry about the remote trunk release (I just unhooked the vacuum line and use the key).

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yeah, Walt, the Benz has had the A/C useless for a few years now. That's the main reason we now have the Camry. Herself actually has a J-O-B where she needs to dress for success... so Diesela is now my transport for work. Much prefer one of the LBC's but all have "issues" just now and the transfusion of cash has been nearly exhausted on the primary drivers. ARGH!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The Caddy hasn't had functional air since I've owned it and I can live without it since I only drive it with the top down in the summer. The heat though, that is another issue and it makes the car nearly unbearable to drive in the winter months. I do have a boring Toyota as my daily driver but soon I plan of ridding myself of it and relying on only my old vehicles to get around. Although I may decide I need a Miata or another LBC.