• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lotus Turbo Esprit Issue

Trb57

Freshman Member
Hi Guys, new to this forum. My name is Tim Beaubien / TRB57 and have a 1977 MGB, a 1952 MG TD and just recently picked up a 1988 Lotus Turbo Esprit. I actually chased this car for 10 years and we finally came to a price.
The car has 19,000 original miles and is very clean. I bought from the second owner and he put very few miles on it. He would start the car about once a year and do about a 10 mile drive then back into heated storage.
Recently the car is running rough on start up but levels off after about 5 to 10 minutes. Still runs very sluggish and then stalls after about 20 minutes and will not start until the next day. I’m thinking fuel pumps??? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks, TRB57 / tim B.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Your first guess seems to be spot-on. Fuel pump first, run time suggests a possible cat-converter too. Remember that ethanol clogging things can also be involved.

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Very quick test for CAT is to hit the thing and see if it rattles. Could be a broken piece of the CAT clogging the exhaust. If not conclusive and the FP checks out, pull the front O2 sensor so the exhaust has somewhere to go and then take it for a drive. If it pulls strong with the O2 sensor out, bad CAT.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I have no knowledge of the Esprit but just started following this forum since I have an Elan Plus 2 on the way which should arrive this week. However, I have and have had several cars from this era and have to say that the fuel pump guess certainly fits the symptoms. Has the Esprit got an OBD port? I know the early OBDs weren't all that good but might be a place to start in the unlikely event that the FP is not at fault.
Tom

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Tom said:
Has the Esprit got an OBD port?
not likely.

Ethanol fuel and time in static could be a factor. Not so much the fuel pump as ethanol gumming up jets and small ports in the fuel delivery.

But the run-time still suggests a CAT-converter clog.

Last edited:
E

Esprit2

TRB57 / tim B.
Did you ever resolve this issue?

Regards,
tim. E.