• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Look Out, Jay Leno

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I made my son an offer for his Alfa he couldn't refuse. (He bought one of those 3-wheel motorcycle thingies). My "collection" now consists of two - the 1971 TR6 and the 1992 Alfa Spider. I'm only 284 cars behind Jay Leno but I'm working on it - except for the $$$. One potential (I hope) problem with the Alfa. It not only has a hood latch cable like the Triumph but cables for the gas filler door and the trunk. However - unlike the TR6, there is no commercially available alternate cables (which probably should have been used in a left hand drive car anyway-I have one and so should every TR6 owner- in fact I never use the stock cable any more), so owners have had to fabricate systems such as nylon fishing line poking out of the hood or cables coming through the fender well. You can get at the gas filler cable by taking off the side panel but the trunk one is apparently tougher. Seems someone should make a cheap kit like the TR kit.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Can you use the solenoids as a backup? The battery on this car is in the trunk. I keep it disconnected - with the lid open ajar- because it runs down and goes dead after 2 or 3 weeks.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've owned Alfas since 1975, three GTV's and this Spider now. Never had a trunk or hood cable issue with any of 'em. About once a year I put Marvel Mystery oil on the exposed spiral sheath of the Brit cars. The Italian ones are covered, so a bit of Marvel force-fed at the working end repeatedly and compressed air to push lube into the "tube" 'till there's evidence it made it to the actuating handle. Bit messy but it works.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I hearya Doc. My middle name is WD40. I spray everything movable, including door hinges. Prevents that sag when they wear.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have always preferred Marvel Mystery Oil.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I still have a can of that stuff about 1/4 full - from about 1970. Love the smell. I put some in a squirt can but rarely use. Sometimes old is better.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I know I will rightly be accused of being an electronics Luddite, but I trust the cables more than the solenoids. I also like the Alfa, congratulations.
Tom

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks, Tom. It's interesting to compare two cars designed in the same era, but the Alfa was refined through the years so its much more modern than the TR6. From Webers to Spica fuel injection to Bosch F.I.That's good - and bad. Alfa-three cables - hood, trunk and gas filler lid. TR6 - only one - but that one has so many kinks and bends that the "emergency" system is IMO, a necessity. I can hardly open the hood using the stock cable so I use the alternate every time. As far as the solenoids are concerned, I'm thinking redundant cables are better. Some owners actually drill a hole behind the license plate to rig an emergency cable and drill a hole through the left front fender with a rubber grommet for the alternate. If anything, I'll go with that.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Hard to find any difference between a new Honda Accord and a Bentley Mulsanne today, IMO, except that the Bentley probably has more drink holders. Of course I don't have either one.
Tom

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Took the Alfa out this cold afternoon. Had a little trouble latching the top since it was not up all summer but the gearbox was fine right out of the garage with just the usual Alfa chirp going into first gear from time to time. One problem. No heat. Temperature lever moves up and down and seems to be connected and blower motor is strong but what comes out is ambient air. Although the amount of heat wasn't great, I never had this problem on the TR6 with the heater valve on the block but I can't see where this lever goes to. Either the hot water is not getting to the heater, the water is not hot enough or the level is too low. Any ideas?

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Low coolant will result in reduced heat. It's sometimes easier to follow the hoses rather than the cable to the heater valve. If that's not working, one side will be hot and the other cold when the lever on the dash calls for heat.
I don't have that problem with my '69 Herald. The heater was an option back then and it never had that option.
Tom

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Possible solution. I found and downloaded a manual for a 1991 Spider - almost the same as a '92. The round knob I was turning was the Air Conditioner knob - not the heater. This car has a/c and son told me the a/c was not working & that explains the ambient air. A 3-position switch operates the blower. I did flip on that switch but nothing happened I think because the a/c was operating. Moral - when all else fails - read the manual. Today is a nor'easter blowing & car stays dry in the garage but tomorrow, I will test the system the right way.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Two-speed blower works fine but still no heat. Added some coolant but still no heat. Small hose into firewall for the heater was hot. Both levers seem to be operating normally so I'm stumped.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
when I did up Ms Triss, the heater matrix was pretty clogged. I had the rad re-done in a shop but, was able to clean out the matrix with CLR.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Check to see if the valve to the heater core is actually opening, if it is then I'd say its either a faulty valve or a clogged core.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The car spent too much time in south Florida! I'm goin' with Walt's guess. The valve & matrix are buried up under the dash, a real PITA to get to.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The car spent too much time in south Florida! I'm goin' with Walt's guess. The valve & matrix are buried up under the dash, a real PITA to get to.

Funny, I bought a car in Bradenton during January and proceeded to drive it back to Massachusetts. Everything was fine until I got as far north as North Carolina and noticed it was a little cool inside. Turned on the heat, but no. It was a long, cold ride back home, especially when it started to snow and I had no defrosters. You should have seen the stuff that came out of the heater core.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Doesn't sound good. I put in more antifreeze mixture today and warmed it up. Nothing. Not only no heat but the 3 in-dash facial ducts do not seem to be passing any air either. The 2 defroster ducts are fine - plenty of (cold) air. Although the 2 levers seem to be working, something is rotten down below in the heater box as noted. I asked son about the heater. You guessed it. He never used it. Didn't use the a/c either. It looks like another visit to the shop since my days of laying on my back under the dash are officially over. BTW - this car has no radiator drain either. You have to pull off the lower radiator hose. A messy job. How much more would it have cost to put in a draincock? Classic cars. Fun when they work - a Royal PITA when they don't.