• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Contemplating a conversion

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The charging system in our B is giving me fits. Put a new set of brushes in the generator a month ago, the voltage output was fine for a month. Last Wednesday the voltage dropped to battery voltage and no higher. Out with the genny, brushes looked fine, polished the commutator and reinstalled... no joy. Have a NOS regulator on the shelf, swapped out the older one, and again, no joy. Matter of fact the iggy light never went out so I assume the NOS regulator sat too long in the box and the points on the right side coil are stuck closed. Dressed the points in the original regulator, put it back in and still no charge. grrrr...

To eliminate the whole durn'd problem I'm thinking of going with an alternator conversion and a "dummy" regulator. Car is already changed to negative ground, did that with the rebuild a decade ago.

Anyone done this swap on a pre-'68 B? Really a straightforward conversion but not cheap. It'll put a real dent in me CAB budget.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just a voltmeter. Made up this console for it and a clock:

console.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Thanks, guys. Saw something similar someplace on th' innerwebs, years ago. Finally got a burr under me saddle and put this one together. Still need to do a bit of "fine tuning" to make it acceptable to me. Likely a "charging port" (a.k.a cigar lighter) in there someplace.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The deed is all but done. Took a couple hours at a leisurely pace. Got the rear bracket from Moss from their "conversion kit", sourced the alternator locally, the 'fake regulator' is due to be delivered later today. Did a bit of fettling with the coil mount instead of drilling more holes in the inner wing. Measured and relief cut the original bracket on the motor mount. Rerouted the wiring with a pair of male-to-male spade connectors for the indicator light/field lead, had to fab up a three-blade spade connector from some scrap bits of aluminum sheet for the three power leads. Now a reliable 14V steady electron flow. When the fake box arrives it'll take about ten minutes to put it in place. Could probably have 'converted' the real regulator but didn't want to cobble it.

The coil bracket is difficult to see, but it was cut on the band saw, parallel and even with the top of the motor mount for about three inches and angle-cut at just under a forty-five degree angle toward the coil end:

alt1.jpg

The 'bodge' with the wiring until the fake regulator gets here:

alt2.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Heheee... postman arrived, I opened the package and swapped out the cover on the "fake" with the cover of the original. Ignition on, started the engine, no smoke, all good! The dummy is fitted inside with a 50A fuse. Very clever do! And it took UNDER ten minutes. :wink:

Faker1.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nice job, Bubba! :thumbsup:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
D said:
Hoping you never need 50amps........;)

As the new alternator is rated at 45 Amps, my mind is unconcerned. :smirk:

Brer Mick said:
Nice job, Bubba! :thumbsup:

Thanks. I try. :wink:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
What a nice job Doc! I've been contemplating installing an alternator conversion for the TF, using one that looks like the generator, they also have a fake regulator that looks like the original, with the driving lights on and the heater, it has all it can do for the generator to keep up.
This one,
View attachment 56340

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nice work doc!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nice work, Doc.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Thanks, fellas. Appreciate the comments.

I think if I'd seen Paul's T-series alternator disguised as a generator sometime earlier I may have bit th' bullet and paid the price for one of those. There are some clever lads producing these things, wish I'd thought of doing it! Must be a market for the stuff, has to be an investment in producing them.

The purist in me kinda balks at seeing an alternator under-bonnet of the B here, but as a practical matter I've already changed many of the "correct" components and an MGB is hardly a rare collector car. This one was intended to be a driver. I've tried to build in reliability over originality. If anyone is of like mind, I would heartily endorse an aluminum radiator swap, as well. In summer here it now will idle in traffic and not give me angst as I watch the temp gauge. I also fitted an electric fan with a thermal switch to kick it on at 185°F and an override switch on that console pictured above.

Thinking I'll run it "outside th' yard" sometime next week, make a 100 mile round trip to Sarasota to help my pal down there sort some electrics on a P-5 Rolls.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've tried to build in reliability over originality.

I'm a big fan of this approach -- functional changes are welcome. Many of the changes happened in later cars (like mine, factory with alternator) anyways.

I did the aluminum radiator a few years ago, a nice upgrade for sure. May consider an electric fan at some point as well, given the heat and altitude I deal with.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
With the one here, in traffic it gets turned on to run continuously and the temp stays at thermostat temp. Big improvement over the original setup.