• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oops - Maybe we should have checked this first

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
LOL Oops!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hahaha! That reminds me of this starbucks van:
Sucks.jpg

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Agreed. I'm a coffee junkie, and my wife is a teacher, so she gets a couple hundred $$ worth of Starbucks gift cards at Christmas and the end of the school year. It's not my favorite by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll drink it since it's free. But their roasts are always way to bitter IMO. They seem to both roast the beans too long and brew too long/hot.
One thing I notice about them is their caffeine level is at least double that of any other coffee I get. Nothing better than a corporation ramping up the addictive properties of their product to keep the customers coming back.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I agree, I reckon that the only people who like Starbucks coffee are people who like a little bit of coffee flavor in their milk and sugar.

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I agree, I reckon that the only people who like Starbucks coffee are people who like a little bit of coffee flavor in their milk and sugar.
A guy used to work here that was at least 5 degrees skewed to the Autistic side of the spectrum. He was a good guy, just didn't understand the social graces at all.
He was heading on a coffee run one morning last winter and I gave him one of my gift cards for picking up the brew. He leaves with a $15 card and all I wanted was a Venti Pike Roast, NO ROOM!!! (cause I have a Y chromosome and drink my coffee black). Told him to get whatever he wanted for the effort. Came back with my drink, which is less than $3, and a HUGE milkshake contraption with 6" of whipped cream on top. Basically killed the remainder of the card on his drink. There was maybe a couple dollars left on it.

Last edited:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
What is a Venti Pike Roast No Room?

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Pike roast is their standard drip. Venti is Starbucks code for "large". No room means fill it to the brim, don't need no stinkin' cream or sugar.:encouragement:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Geez, that reminds me of the nightmare of a time I had trying to order a cup of coffee in that place the first time. I ask for a "cup of coffee" thinking that being a coffee house the fella behind the counter would know what I wanted. This young guy stares at me like I am speaking Greek. I wind up having to jump through all of these linguistic hurdles to order a cup of coffee and then what I am given is something that has been sitting in the pot for the past few hours and is burnt all for the low low price of $2.10.

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
That was my experience the first time there as well. "Large coffee please" was met with blank stare and I just informed them I wanted a black coffee in the largest container they can put it in.

My go-to is San Fransisco Coffee Roasting Co. here in Atlanta. Small local chain of 3 shops, with the larger location doing all the roasting and baking. Best coffee I've had since moving to Atlanta from Bellingham. I used to work as a wrench and then service manager for a bike shop. It was about an 8 mile ride to work every day, and I'd stop on the was in every morning and get a large Fade to Black (San Fran lingo for large drip with an extra shot of espresso). If anyone is ever in Atlanta, let me know and we'll grab a cup or 7.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My go to is myself. There is a good coffee shop in the town I work in but everyone knows it is good so it tends to be crowded in the mornings.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I drink my coffee straight out of the pot, Starbucks is like drinking road tar! Every time I get desperate and stop at a Starbucks, I take a couple sips and throw the rest in the trash! No wonder they have to dilute it with the flavored creams and tons of sugar. Horrible stuff! :pukeface:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I drink my coffee straight out of the pot,

I prefer a mug, myself...

But have to agree about Starbucks. Never have understood the hype. Luzianne coffee and chicory for us; both of us were weaned on it back in New Orleans.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I prefer a mug, myself...

But have to agree about Starbucks. Never have understood the hype. Luzianne coffee and chicory for us; both of us were weaned on it back in New Orleans.

Same here. But Beaumont's Community does hit the spot. Too bad it's not for sale in Connecticut!

TM

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

And yet I am a big Starbucks dark roast fan. - different tastes for different folk (don't even get me started on grits :grin: )

I will admit that the worst cup of coffee we had on our Camino trip this year was Starbucks at the airport. (though it might have been because it was at the airport)

In Canada we have the Tim Hortons coffee chain - 8 out of 10 cups of coffee sold is Tim Hortons - I will drink it when I am on the road but much prefer McDonalds TBH.

Mrs JP much much prefers Starbucks tea to McDonalds or Timmies (she doesn't dronk coffee)

That said I haven't had a Starbucks fancy drink in years.

Oh and when we got home I got a stove top espresso maker which is getting good use (and already have a nespresso) so we have choice.

:cheers:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Did you know that in Italy they have a law that specifies how much pressure the coffee has to be made under for it to be espresso? The small stove top ones don't develop enough pressure to make legally recognized espresso but I do like the one I have, my dad had me pick it up a few years before he died and it does make a good (if not small) cup o' joe.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Back in th' '80's we would have F-1 onna cable and a Black-n-Decker espresso maker at th' ready. Monaco, Senna, rain... his drive was obviously proof he would be a World Champion. The caffeine was just a boost to allow me to see Senna's ability. When Lotus had a place.

50 Grans Prix before Ferrari, Emmo did it in the early '70's. And as the youngest ever F-1 driver at the time.