• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GTI Advice

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My friend in HS was a GTI freak. He had a white 8 valve from that same era that we backed into a tree at north of 70mph. All four of us in the car lived to tell the tale. Used his insurance settlement to get a silver 16 valve that was even faster.
All I can tell you about that generation of GTI is that it's maybe the last of the super simple hot hatches. Handled like a go kart. Plenty of power to get into trouble (back when 110hp was plenty). If there was a nice example, I'd love to have one.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
All I can tell you about that generation of GTI is that it's maybe the last of the super simple hot hatches. Handled like a go kart. Plenty of power to get into trouble (back when 110hp was plenty). If there was a nice example, I'd love to have one.

Yup! Or a '77 Scirocco, even better.

D

Deleted member 8987

very odd. Page not found, only GTI in Roanoke is a 2016

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
FIXED IT! - Forgot to enter all the numbers.

It's on there - couldn't get it to link for some reason.
Anyway,went & looked at it today,& had a great drive in the
mountains.
He told me that it runs fine for 15 minutes,then dies,but will
start up in about an hour,& do the same thing.Ideas?
He also said that he'd take $500 for it,& I'm really torn.It's
got some minor rust,so I wouldn't be afraid to drive it through the
Winter,but would be such a cool car to commute in.
The other side of it is that I could end up putting a bunch of
money into it in the long run.I told him to let me know if someone
else buys it,& I will be thinking it over.

D

Deleted member 8987

Nice interior. Did he remove the shag carpets before he took the pictures? Rust spots in the door are never good.

Heat? Plugged vent for tank to canister?

Post this on the Spridget forum, it's the coil. It's always the coil. Even if it's a flat tyre.

I don't remember...is that a Bosch K-Jetronic? Lodhavemercy, I hated those things.

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Possibly the hall sensor in the distributor. Much like a crank sensor causing a hot no-start or stall, hall sensors will lose their signal when they get hot and then work OK when cold. Seems to be fairly common on that era VW.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Seller emailed me & told me that it's SOLD!
Oh well.......

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sometimes the best thing that can happen is for a decision to be made for you :encouragement:
That reminds me of an ad I saw for a Jag, Mk II. I saw the ad, talked with a friend who knew Jags about it at work. We were going after work to look at it. Another guy overheard us and rushed out early and bought it. The Jag turned into a real expensive loser for him. I kept thanking the guy who bought it. :devilgrin: