• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Found the leak, now what?

1972TealMGB

Freshman Member
Hello everyone,

I have 1972 MGB that runs great but leaks oil like a waterfall when I turn off the engine. The oil is leaking from the hole directly above the oil pan (see picture). Anybody know what that is? An overflow perhaps, I don’t know.

I noticed when adding oil to the car that if I pour too fast, oil leaks from that same hole. The oil then drips on to the beginning of the exhaust and burns into white smoke.

76519E80-8467-416A-97A6-9908F5CF10D0.jpg

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks for your time

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Somebody will answer. During a holiday weekend. I would assume that oil pressure switch mounting hole or block plug is missing. Coming from a main oil galley. Bide the time the answer will come.

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Wrong side for the oil pressure switch....that's the oil pressure release valve location. There should be a cap nut in that hole with a washer underneath Maybe it's just loose?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thanks Joe. I was not familiar, but wanted him to know someone would be around. I was heading to the books to see what was up.

OP

1972TealMGB

Freshman Member
Thanks Joe! The hole is wide open and I didn’t feel any threads on the inside but i will definitely look into the pressure release valve.

Thanks!

blueosprey90

Country flag
Kind of interesting that it leaks when you turn off the engine, but not while the engine is running. I run an MGA engine, so it is not the same. But my humble guess is that it has to do with the oil pump, maybe an extra bore drilled to feed oil to the drive gears for the distributor and oil pump that run off of the cam shaft above. If that is the case there would be an intersecting bore coming down from those gears. My further guess is that it is simply a bore hole that needs to be plugged, much like an oil galley needs to be plugged. The object being to keep the oil within.

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I Googled MGB engine left side photo. I did not get any really good shots, but one shot seemed to show a core plug bulge. It looks to be at the same level as the oil gallery. Does it leak while running?Bob

OP

1972TealMGB

Freshman Member
Thanks Bob. It seems to drip a little if I take a turn with some speed. I know this because I can see some white smoke from the oil burning off the exhaust.

It would make sense if it had some sort of plug but I can’t find anything online saying there is anything to cover that hole

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Looking at your pic again, I can see that I was wrong. That's NOT the pressure relief valve. I'm not sure what it is. I've got a spare block I'll look at and see if I can help....