• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Monumental task

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I'm not going to do this until we get back from my nephew's wedding in September, but I have determined that I need to replace the timing change tensioners on my Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3L. I'm not sure which side is bad but will change them both anyway, along with the chains and guides. Symptoms are - a lot of chain slap noise when you first start the car, which goes away after a few seconds and oil pressure builds up. This tensioner is designed with a ratchet type mechanism that is supposed to keep the chains under tension when the engine is not running, then, when you start the engine and oil pressure builds up, the oil pressure causes the tension.

This is probably going to be the most daunting task I've undertaken, so I signed up for www.alldatadiy.com and they have very good step-by-step instructions for this procedure.

Cost to have dealer do this job: North of $1200 (and that's just to replace ONE tensioner. It goes higher if you start talking about both tensioners, chains, guides, etc. )

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Basil - check if your Santa Fe is covered under the Hyundai "timing chain tensioner" recall.

There are several articles online about the problem, but they don't specify model years.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Hi Basil - check if your Santa Fe is covered under the Hyundai "timing chain tensioner" recall.

There are several articles online about the problem, but they don't specify model years.

I checked and no recall for my vehicle.

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The M-B 276 engine is notorious for timing chain rattle at cold start. Their solution was to remove tensioners (which sound like they work exactly like yours) and install a little anti-drain valve in the oil port behind the tensioner to keep it from going slack due to losing pressure when the engine isn't running.
There's nothing you can't do to a car if you have wrenching experience, the proper tools, and follow the work instructions.

We use alldata pro as one of our resources in conjunction with the official factory online work instruction site. Alldata should steer you in the right direction. I've noticed their work instructions are usually PDFs of the factory stuff.
Just out of curiosity, what's book time on the job?

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
The M-B 276 engine is notorious for timing chain rattle at cold start. Their solution was to remove tensioners (which sound like they work exactly like yours) and install a little anti-drain valve in the oil port behind the tensioner to keep it from going slack due to losing pressure when the engine isn't running.
There's nothing you can't do to a car if you have wrenching experience, the proper tools, and follow the work instructions.

We use alldata pro as one of our resources in conjunction with the official factory online work instruction site. Alldata should steer you in the right direction. I've noticed their work instructions are usually PDFs of the factory stuff.
Just out of curiosity, what's book time on the job?

Book time (per alldata) is 9.2 hours (That assumes the person doing the job knows what the heck they are doing, I suspect). Originally the procedure called for removing the engine, but there is a TSB that came out in 2010 that describes the procedure without the need to fully remove the engine. I wonder if the listed book time it based on the original procedure or the new procedure? I expect the job will take me at least a full weekend!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Didn't know AllData had found a way to monetize their info for DIY'ers. Sign up for a specific vehicle... crafty!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Didn't know AllData had found a way to monetize their info for DIY'ers. Sign up for a specific vehicle... crafty!

When I called the dealer and asked what they would charge for the job (> $1200), I learned that the dealer was actually using AllDataDIY as their source for the time required for the job. Yes, you pay for it but the info available is extremely well laid out and comprehensive with lots of high-quality images. IMHO it is well worth the price of admission as I'm sure maintaining the site with accurate info on just about every modern day car is not small task.