• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Best little tube bender

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Been working on brake lines and fuel lines and not been overly happy with either tube bender I had been using. One is the type Moss sells with the red handles. and the other is totally hand operated, Both work but only just work.
While I was looking for something else I came across this old bender I have had for years and had forgotten about it.

No name on it but it works great. Neat bend no buckling or collapsing of the tube.

David
Tube bender.jpg

https://partsofus.com/en/uniweld-to...MIupy1vo2H3QIVloaRCh2uawWqEAQYAyABEgKMq_D_BwE

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It works, but I can't say I'm especially fond of it. Takes 3 hands to operate, one on each lever and the other hand to position the tubing so you get just the right spot and angle (relative to the other bends). It's also not great at doing bends close to obstacles, like the bend at the rear wheel cylinders on a TR3 with front disc brakes (nor the tight radius required there).

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
My third hand is the vice.

I was just impressed with the nice smooth bends after the less than great results with the other bender.

See your point about the brake line that has a bend right after the nut.

David

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
No need for a third hand. Make the bend, place in bender, apply slight pressure to adjust and bend!
I have done too many cars with it to count.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Like a lot of things. Practice makes things easier.

Been a long time since I had to do any tube bending where it mattered how far the bends were apart. May go back and have another go at the front section of fuel line with my new found skills.

David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mine is a Rigid brand, same tool. Served well for decades.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It works, but I can't say I'm especially fond of it. Takes 3 hands to operate, one on each lever and the other hand to position the tubing so you get just the right spot and angle (relative to the other bends). It's also not great at doing bends close to obstacles, like the bend at the rear wheel cylinders on a TR3 with front disc brakes (nor the tight radius required there).

Lisle or Eastwood tube bending pliers are best for really tight and close to the tube nut.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
mctriumph TR2/3/3A the best kinda folks Triumph 2
K TR2/3/3A What is the best way to prevent the crank from turning ........ Triumph 27
tr6nitjulius For Sale "SOLD" Winter projects: Upgrades 4Sale or Reasonable Best Offer Triumph Classifieds 0
AngliaGT MGB-GT The Best Laid Plans....... MG 3
69MGC T-Series Best Technique to Clean a Canvas Top MG 3
Michael Oritt Best Seat Trim Adhesive Austin Healey 8
J Best Aluminum Fenders? Austin Healey 3
1 TR2/3/3A Best Rustproofing for inside of body. Triumph 7
G Best fuel option for a 72 Midget Spridgets 5
Celtic 77 MGB Looking for best info regarding throttle cable replacement. MG 16
JPSmit some days your best tool is a credit card Spridgets 2
dripdripdrip TR2/3/3A Best place for tonneau & hood stick covers? Triumph 2
D The best place to get shocks rebuilt. Spridgets 8
Joel Lester TR2/3/3A Advice for which head gasket material is best Triumph 8
BoyRacer Best-Sounding Muffler - Stainless Steel or Mild Steel? Austin Healey 9
W Best source for Bugeye front shocks Spridgets 3
J For Sale For Sale - 2x TR6 seats in red vinyl - Best Offer! Triumph Classifieds 1
Bob Claffie Best cruise in of the year Spotted 8
longbridgehealey Best way in Austin Healey 2
B TR4/4A What really is the best clutch/bearing combo Triumph 4
I Best glue for rubber door panels? Spridgets 3
N Best cam choice??? Spridgets 5
R TR2/3/3A Best day ever [so far] Triumph 1
C How best to restore red script on valve cover? Austin Healey 7
F Best $25 I've ever spent on my Healey - 2019 Austin Healey Concours Guidelines Austin Healey 0
FlyingCat Spitfire Which carburetor is the best? Triumph 9
T TR2/3/3A Where is best spot to check temp with infrared thermometer? Triumph 17
N Best lube for a Datsun gearbox?? Spridgets 6
Kleykamp For Sale 1978 MG Midget Best Offer Spridgets Classified 0
DornTRoriginal TR2/3/3A Electrical Wiring Best Practices Triumph 13
I General TR Best car cover Triumph 8
M Best Interiors Austin Healey 20
Jer Confirming the best choice for clutch / release bearing for my 67 Midget Spridgets 2
N Best carpet glue???? Spridgets 5
S Best Ethylene Glycol/Water Ratio to avoid overheating? Why? Informal Survey. Austin Healey 27
B best diff British Motor Corp 5
Boink Pre-War MG-TB wins best in class at Forest Grove Concours MG 7
T TR2/3/3A What is best way to flush engine after antifreeze got in oil?? Triumph 2
GTP1960 Not the "best car ever made" by a long shot Other Cars 14
glemon Mercedes 450SL Best Car Ever Made? Other Cars 7
cpbol Best alternative option to sleeved thermostat? Austin Healey 9
MisterB Spitfire Best year for a Spitfire? Triumph 12
D TR4/4A Best SU overhaul service to use? Triumph 10
K TR2/3/3A What is best way to remove old nylon/rubber bush 525-020 from steering box shaft? Triumph 5
Gerald_Gordon TR4/4A Best carpet for TR4 Triumph 2
C Best Replacement BN1 Leaf Springs Austin Healey 5
Jim_Gruber Headlight Trim Rings on my BE - Removal - Best Methods Spridgets 5
A Best fibreglass/GRP Bugeye bonnet Spridgets 21
D TR2/3/3A Best TR3B seats - repair or replacement? Triumph 11
Popeye TR4/4A Best way to transport a bare tub? U-haul utility trailer? Triumph 11