Thread: Watkins Glen's 25th Anniversary

This forum is strictly for discussing racing, such as SCCA-style Road-Racing, AutoCross, and other styles of motorsports that are relevant to British Cars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Watkins Glen's 25th Anniversary

So this video is 45 years old. It's narrated by Brock Yates. It's sponsored by British Leyland (with some really nice commercials). You'll see some memorable cars and some memorable drivers (Dave Garroway, Peter Revson, Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart, Francois Cevert, and more). Made my first visit to "The Glen" back in the summer of 1965 (the USRRC...United States Road Racing Championship). I still visit today, it's truly a fantastic race facility. I know for some here, you'll get a kick watching this. It'll put a smile on your face. (27 minute video)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...3&&FORM=VRDGAR

'66 TR4A '68 GT6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Re: Watkins Glen's 25th Anniversary

What a great video that brought back lots of memories (I was there for the '72 USGP). I can almost smell the crisp fall air, campfires, racing fuel and Genesee Cream Ale! Such a shame we lost the Glen to Formula 1 racing. Thanks for posting!
    Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Thanks for the video, it was great.
    Hello Rick, Yeh we might have lost some otherwise good racing to the F1, but The Glen is still going strong. I just spent 3 days there last week end at the Vintage Grand Prix & Festival. It's pretty exiting with the Downtown Festival on Friday and the old course reenactment, then the race teams bring their cars into town and stage them on the main street for a few hours. You see some great machinery there. I'm there to watch the IMSA 6 Hours of The Glen every year and of coarse NASCAR shows up. You want to see some crazy racing ya gotta watch NASCAR on a track like The Glen. But the Vintage stuff and the IMSA GTLM cars are my favorite.
    About TV Shows-
    "...you really can't restore a car in 10 days. I don't want to watch a race where people have to restore it in a week. It's not going to drive, and those cars never work. In real life, it takes years to get it right. " Jay Leno.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Here's a modern version of "vintage" racing at The Glen.....

Dougie
    '65 BJ8 3000 MKIII GN.29
    '57 100-SIX MM Vintage Racer GN.1 #414
    Team Healey PDX