• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Member Donn Grimes, Heber City Utah

Donn11

Freshman Member
Greetings from the land of the Greatest Snow on Earth!

My name is Donn, I recently retired from the military and decided to get back to a fond pursuit of my youth- British Sports Cars- to give me something to do. My dad had a TR2, Bugeye Sprite and a number of repair and sell MGs when I was a teenager. I drove both the TR2 and the Bugeye more than he did. I actually owned an Austin Healy 100-6, learned automotive mechanics keeping both it and my 67' Mustang running. I always thought that I would pick up where I left off some 40+ years ago by restoring an Austin Healy. Since my first house cost just a little more than a decent AH 3000 Mrk III (at current prices), I decided to try a different path. I just recently purchased a 1960 Triumph TR3A, TS64802, Black with Red leather interior.

Nice car, appears mostly original, straight body with no appreciable rust anywhere-but we all know that there has to be rust somewhere. Definitely a "driver" with the need of some TLC. So this will soon be my project car. All the gauges work (move) but they are sun-bleached and both the tach and speedometer need help telling the truth! Some of the chrome is pitted, the leather seats look awesome but sun damaged, and the oil leaks- IMHO- a bit excessive. Also the steering box while providing excellent exercise needs some help.

I had an excellent opportunity to get to know this car. I purchased the car in Connecticut and immediately drove it back to Utah. Perhaps a bit foolish on my part--but an adventure none the less. Three and a half days on the road, one Lucas catastrophe (electrical failure-the light switch disintegrated taking out the charging system) and a gallon+ of oil later and we made it! The car actually runs better now than when I bought it. The long drive must have blown out some carbon and cleaned the carburetors but unfortunately did nothing to revive the oil seals.

My goals are to keep this car looking as original as possible-- with some caveats. Since this car will continue to be my "driver" I will focus on improvements to safety, reliability, and -OH My- I really need an over-drive if not a 5-speed!

Cheers,
Donn

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Hey Donn, welcome to BCF! What branch did you retire from? I am retired AF myself and we have many vets on BCF! You have found THE place on the internet for help as you restore your TR3!

OP
D

Donn11

Freshman Member
Hey Donn, welcome to BCF! What branch did you retire from? I am retired AF myself and we have many vets on BCF! You have found THE place on the internet for help as you restore your TR3!

Basil,

Thank you for the welcome.

I retired from the Army. 34 years Active duty and 8 more in the Army National Guard and Army Reserve. Enlisted as a medic. Volunteered for Airborne and Special Forces. Served in the 10th SFG at Fort Devens, MA (dating myself). Joined the 19th SFG (UTARNG) when I went to college. Went to Dental School in San Antonio (Army Reserve time) then went back on active duty with the Army for 30 years as a dentist. An adventure for sure!

Update: I just bought a TR6 transmission with A-type overdrive. HOOOAH! The adventure continues….

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Basil,

Thank you for the welcome.

I retired from the Army. 34 years Active duty and 8 more in the Army National Guard and Army Reserve. Enlisted as a medic. Volunteered for Airborne and Special Forces. Served in the 10th SFG at Fort Devens, MA (dating myself). Joined the 19th SFG (UTARNG) when I went to college. Went to Dental School in San Antonio (Army Reserve time) then went back on active duty with the Army for 30 years as a dentist. An adventure for sure!

Update: I just bought a TR6 transmission with A-type overdrive. HOOOAH! The adventure continues….

We're sure glad to have you aboard! We just went to Twin Falls Idaho and back to New Mexico for Brother-in-Laws birthday. Our trip took us though Heber City. Here are some pictures I took on the trip and you may recognize some of these spots!

https://youtu.be/YTS-u75-Q4s

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Donn

Welcome to the forum.

I think it must have been your adventure that the Roadster Factory newsletter mentioned several weeks ago. Would have been a long drive in a carefully prepared car let alone one that you had just bought.

The Triumph section is very active so you are sure to get plenty of tips, help and advice there for your project.

Post some photos of the TR3A

David