• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TrueOS

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
That review pretty much sums up my personal experience with various Linux systems. If I had the time to troubleshoot all the issues (drivers especially), I'd have stuck with it. I'm not knocking Linux at all. But the solitary user with little technical background faces a steep learning/support curve.

If Linux installations came with a neighborhood personal expert on call 24/7, might be different for me.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I will keep my CEntOS, thankyouverymuch.

"LINUX. Learn it, load it, love it".

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I've been using Linux Mint 17 for a couple years now, upgraded to 18.3 and all went well, 19 just came out and I downloaded it but for some reason it won't install over 18. Anyone have a clue why? Cant get True OP to work either, just experimenting. PJ

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Much as I thought.

Just hoping for an alternative to windows.

Have downloaded Mint 18.something and run it a little on an old laptop. Need to spend more time trying it out.

David

That review pretty much sums up my personal experience with various Linux systems. If I had the time to troubleshoot all the issues (drivers especially), I'd have stuck with it. I'm not knocking Linux at all. But the solitary user with little technical background faces a steep learning/support curve.

If Linux installations came with a neighborhood personal expert on call 24/7, might be different for me.

D

Deleted member 8987

Much as I thought.

Just hoping for an alternative to windows.

Have downloaded Mint 18.something and run it a little on an old laptop. Need to spend more time trying it out.

David

I hear ya. No more new anything from MS for me. Old stuff? All the time. "Last Known Good". I have a Ubuntu machine booted, through a KVM switch, did everything I could to it to be "comfortable", and still am not.
Couple of things drive me nutz...and some may be just FireFox being idiots in their Linux-Only browser.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Two CEntOS machines for my use here, this current one is CEntOS 5, the other is 7. With the 7 box I use Chrome as the browser. Works well.

D

Deleted member 8987

Two CEntOS machines for my use here, this current one is CEntOS 5, the other is 7. With the 7 box I use Chrome as the browser. Works well.

Chrome is Google. I trust google less than I trust politicians.

My issue with FF on Ubuntu primarily is tab function.

WILL NOT work like I am used to, no add-ons seem to fix it, none of the setting I use in XP are there.

Let's say I go to webmail, click on an e-mail to view, and scratch my noggin for five minutes wondering why it doesn't open. Click it again. And again.

Then realize I have
ten more tabs open with the e-mail I selected.

Cannot set it to open specific items in same tab...including BCF.

Then there is the stupid scroll bar on the side of the "window".

It is worse than the desktop sliver on the right side of the clock on 8 and 8.1 (which I fixed). Cannot fix it in Ubuntu that I have been able to find. Load a lot of stuff that's supposed to, nothing works.

Took weeks to figure out how to get the fonts in the tabs and address bar to be big enough to read.
No, not changing screen resolution in the monitor, as with a KVM switch, it's perfect for XP-64.

Did figure out how to put taskbar on the bottom instead of the left side.

Still cannot figure out how to put clock and date on lower right instead of upper right.

But, I keep messing with it, hoping for an eventual alternative to Gate****.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:thumbsup: