• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Not for Sale

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was riding my 1959 Lambretta this morning and at a stop light. There was a Mercedes to my left with young man driving with what appeared to be his mother in the passenger seat. They rolled down the passenger window and the driver asked me repeatedly "Can I buy your scooter?"
I told him it was "not for sale" but he didn't give up and kept asking until the light turned green and off I went :smile:

IMG_2403.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
That Lambretta of yours has *class*.

If the Mercedes was under 30 years old ... it doesn't.

bild1-1.jpg

PS - that's a mighty big round steering wheel ya got there ...

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That Lambretta of yours has *class*.

If the Mercedes was under 30 years old ... it doesn't.

View attachment 54805

PS - that's a mighty big round steering wheel ya got there ...
Thank you for the compliments Tom. I really need to wear my tuxedo the next time I drive it.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have not seen a Lambretta in many years. I do have a friend with a Vespa though.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
In some people's heads, everything is for sale. They have no concept of "not for sale".

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I put a lot of “sweat” into restoring that scoot- the last thing I’ll do is turn it over to “Ritchie R.” for him to trash.
4DAAE814-958B-48B4-BC03-DE71E652A561.jpg

Last edited:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
By coincidence, driving into Home Depot today, we saw a white scooter ahead starting to pass an SUV. The SUV suddenly and without a signal started to make a left turn almost sideswiping the scooter. The scooter was just able to avoid the car without having the rider - who was a bald-headed guy with no helmet - knocked off onto the pavement. Any vehicle less than a car is in constant danger on our roads. Be careful.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
By coincidence, driving into Home Depot today, we saw a white scooter ahead starting to pass an SUV. The SUV suddenly and without a signal started to make a left turn almost sideswiping the scooter. The scooter was just able to avoid the car without having the rider - who was a bald-headed guy with no helmet - knocked off onto the pavement. Any vehicle less than a car is in constant danger on our roads. Be careful.
Thanks (no pun intended) for the heads up. I ALWAYS wear a helmet when I drive my scooter. I am that "bald headed guy"... been riding my scooters since freshman year at college and that's a LONG time ago.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Sometimes I feel that way Tom.

Me too Elliot. You young whip-snapper!

Lambretta hadn't been invented when I bought my first scooter -

cugnot_steam_wagon_1770_new_york_museum_of_science_and_industry_postcard_front.png

Not much for speed, but no one dared run into me.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Hey, that Lambretta is pretty cool, can I buy your scooter? Seriously, I have been thinking about restoring a small old motorcycle for some time now. In he wishful thinking Department I have it in my head that it would be much easier than a car because less real estate to polish and paint, but mostly fun and different and I have the space to fit one in my garage.

As everyone knows, nature abhors empty garage space.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hey, that Lambretta is pretty cool, can I buy your scooter? Seriously, I have been thinking about restoring a small old motorcycle for some time now. In he wishful thinking Department I have it in my head that it would be much easier than a car because less real estate to polish and paint, but mostly fun and different and I have the space to fit one in my garage.

As everyone knows, nature abhors empty garage space.
I restored five of these scooters and ended up selling three of them. Not only less material to paint/polish but the parts are lots less expensive to buy. In short, it’s an affordable way to have fun and it less time to get it done.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Lovely Lammy!!

here is mine (and it will be for sale, unfortunately ... clueless drivers scare the daylights out of me...)

To your point, this got me started in old cars. Single cylinder engine, a lot less sheet metal, simple electrics. Cost me 1k to have it painted (15 years ago). And fun to ride - gets a lot of attention.

4484A148-10AE-4A94-9518-F30A62898335.jpgCFB492DE-8F35-45FD-915E-64E0A1E3DC63.jpg

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Lovely Lammy!!

here is mine (and it will be for sale, unfortunately ... clueless drivers scare the daylights out of me...)

To your point, this got me started in old cars. Single cylinder engine, a lot less sheet metal, simple electrics. Cost me 1k to have it painted (15 years ago). And fun to ride - gets a lot of attention.

View attachment 54828View attachment 54829

Looks like a VBB Vespa... Nice!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
When I was stationed in Gitmo, I had one of these and ran it everywhere, park it anywhere and cheap on gas. :encouragement:. Paid 50 bucks for it and sold it a couple years later for $75! :highly_amused:

View attachment 54830

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Popeye said:
Better pothole safety at the expense of acceleration.

Da 'Berg was filled wif potholes, another reason we ran to Florida! Potholes in th' city would EAT whole buses!

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Da 'Berg was filled wif potholes, another reason we ran to Florida! Potholes in th' city would EAT whole buses!

Hunting is a big deal in western PA. I figured the potholes were just part of trapping!

(I don’t hunt myself, being a “city slicker”, but have had some lovely venison, rabbit, squirrel, etc. Yummy!!)