• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Factory Hardtop Restoration Advice

Randyz

Country flag
I've got two standard factory Sprite Mk I hardtops. Both have perfect rear glass but are badly in need of restoration. Not sure if they've ever been painted, but the off-white finish on both is peeling off and spider-webbed with cracks. I've never worked with fiberglass before. What's the best way to strip and refinish these hardtops? I'm aware of the vendor in Canada who can provide new seals, I just need help with the finish. Thanks!

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I restored my hardtop about 8 years ago and still looks great. I got my fiberglass supplies from https://www.tapplastics.com ( they are local and have videos on their web page on how to use their products). Per Doc's & Tony B's recommendation I put two layers of glass on the underside of the top to strengthen it ( this is why the cracks develop). I sanded down the entire top and and the groved out all the spider cracks with a dremal. Filled the cracks with resein sanded it all down and then applied new gel coat over the areas that were "thinned of gel coat".
Next primer with Interlux brightsides ( fiber glass boat paint) and sand. Then painted with Interlux Brightside white (very close to the original white. Wet sand and buff. I rolled on all my paint, if you do not have the abilit to shoot it on.
IMG_0346.jpg
Regards
Paul

Last edited:

nomad

Yoda
If you have many spider cracks the grooving out method is way to tedious. Find a company that can supply you with fiberglass "tissue" an just cover the entire top with it. A thin skin of bondo over that and usual paint prep. The tissue you are looking for looks and feels like what its called. Don't have a link in front of me right now.

Kurt

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Wanted WANTED: Hardtop (Factory) for BT7 Austin Healey Classifieds 6
P For Sale MGA factory hardtop for sale. MG Classifieds 0
Patrick67BJ8 BJ8 Factory Hardtop Rear Window Austin Healey 6
Celtic 77 MGB factory hardtop question... MG 10
AUSMHLY BJ8 Factory Hardtop Headliner Austin Healey 2
maxwedge5281 Replacing Factory Hardtop Rear Window Austin Healey 24
Jerseygirl For Sale Spitfire Factory Hardtop Triumph Classifieds 2
R For Sale Spitfire factory hardtop Triumph Classifieds 5
AUSMHLY 64 bj8 with factory hardtop for sale Austin Healey 6
BillyB62 TR2/3/3A Factory steel hardtop Triumph 14
Brinkerhoff TR6 value of a TR6 factory hardtop Triumph 5
RickB MGB 1976 MGB with OD and factory hardtop - one owner MG 4
bighealeysource Healy factory hardtop questions Austin Healey 10
bighealeysource How to clean up rear backlight on factory hardtop Austin Healey 11
bighealeysource Nice original factory hardtop for 4 seater on ebay Austin Healey 2
scoutll Factory MK1 Hardtop Spridgets 16
T TR6 tr6 factory hardtop pics needed Triumph 6
Geo Hahn TR6 TR6 Factory hardtop Triumph 11
K TR4/4A Factory TR4A Hardtop Non Surrey? Triumph 3
tony barnhill Midget Mk II Factory Hardtop Spridgets 0
G Wedge TR7 convertible with rare factory original hardtop Triumph 3
G Factory Hardtop Triumph 3
bobh TR6 TR6 Factory Hardtop Install Instructions Triumph 7
bobh TR6 Factory Hardtop Instructions TR6 Triumph 0
C TR6 TR6 Hardtop Factory vs Aftermarket Triumph 11
A Factory Hardtop Triumph 3
H TR6 TR-6 FACTORY HARDTOP FOR SALE ON E-BAY ENDS 4/6 ! Triumph 0
CARSINC How to remove factory contact cement? Spridgets 9
L The First "Factory" 100M Austin Healey 3
R For Sale TR6 TONNEAU COVER ( FACTORY ORIGINAL ) Triumph Classifieds 4
TRopic6 For Sale Austin A30 A35 A40 factory manuals Other British Classifieds 0
3798j A Drone Tour of the Morgan Factory Other British Cars 2
C For Sale Parts, Factory Manual, Restoration Guide for 1959 100-6 Austin Healey Classifieds 4
P TR6 What make and size tire was on the TR6 when it left the factory? Triumph 7
E General TR Hertitage certificate: factory record has not survived Triumph 11
S For Sale Triumph TR250 Factory Workshop Service Manual on CD/ROM – 1968 Models Triumph Classifieds 0
S For Sale Aston Martin DB6 Factory Parts Manual on CD/ROM – 1965 - 1971 Models. Other British Classifieds 0
S For Sale Triumph TR5 Factory Parts Manual on CD/ROM - 1967 to 1968. Triumph Classifieds 0
S For Sale Austin Healey Sprite and MG Midget Factory Body Parts Manuals - 1958 - 1974 Austin Healey Classifieds 0
S For Sale MG TD Factory Parts Manual on CD/ROM MG Classifieds 0
S For Sale MG TF Factory Parts Manual on CD/ROM MG Classifieds 0
S For Sale Austin Healey 100-4 Factory Parts Manual on CD/ROM Austin Healey Classifieds 0
S For Sale MG MGB Factory Parts Manual on CD/ROM - 1962 - 1976 Models MG Classifieds 0
S For Sale Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite MK 1 Factory Workshop Manual on CD/ROM Austin Healey Classifieds 0
S For Sale Triumph TR5 Factory Workshop Manual on CD/ROM - 1967 - 1968 Models. Triumph Classifieds 0
S For Sale Aston Martin DBS V8 Factory Workshop Manual – 1967 - 1972 Models. Other British Classifieds 0
S For Sale Aston Martin DB6 Factory Workshop Manual on CD/ROM – 1965 - 1971 Models. Other British Classifieds 0
S For Sale Sunbeam Alpine Factory Workshop Manual - All Models 1959 - 1968 Other British Classifieds 0
S For Sale Sunbeam Tiger Factory Workshop Manuals – 260 and 289 Models - 1964 - 1967 Other British Classifieds 0
S For Sale Austin Healey 100-4 Factory Workshop Manual on CD/ROM Austin Healey Classifieds 0