• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Missing Bugsy IV / Transporting a BE on a U-Haul Car Carrier

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Bugsy IV is in storage in Cincinnati while I finish my Tampa move. Absolutely no room in the garage for a few more days until all of the boxes are opened, sorted, and put away. Got a big 2 car garage but we were totally full with no room for Bugsy. He would have gotten drowned with some of those afternoon showers Tampa experiences. And its much too hot other than at 6:00 AM to go cruising in Bugsy this time of year. But I do miss him and he will be down in FL at the end of September.

Speaking of moving Bugsy. I've had a chance to pass by one of the local U-Haul Dealers and there are Car Carriers aplenty in FL. I know I need to reserve one for Bugsy as '70 TR-6. But what prep work have others done with the U-Haul Car Carrier. Thinking a couple of sheets of 3/4"Plywood turned sideways and cut to fit and some 2 x 4s to keep Tire s aligned and car centered on trailer. Or can I get him to actually fit between the ramps without modifications. How far up on the ______/ \______ on the inside track will Bugsy ride. And if I use Tire Trailer Tie Downs on all 4 wheels is that enough to Hold Bugsy in place or do I need something more ? Not trying to reinvent the wheel. Thanks.

Home from Business Trip Wednesday to start working on the garage space. Thanks In Advance for your help.

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Jim
What is the width between the floor sections on the trailer. The sprite track is about 4 ft. Most trailers I have seen the tires just barley fit onto the trailer.
You just need to carefully winch the car onto the trailer.
When I raced I used two straps on the front and two on the back. Front from the frame rail and the back around the axle. Watch the brake lines in the back. I crossed the back ones but that was a personal preference.
Most of the guys with open trailers used the same method.
They don't make tire straps for race tires.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim, you can rent an enclosed cargo trailer for a lot less and Bugsey will be much safer!
Rut

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
U-Haul's car carriers won't work with BEs et al as the tracks are too far apart. I moved a couple of parts cars last Spring with a 'regular' U-Haul 6'x12' utility trailer with a ramp, and it worked quite well, but there was very little clearance at each end. Do you have a front bumper? Either way, do some measuring of the car and the inside of the trailer as well. I don't remember any problems with tie-ing the cars down; the ramp was a very good idea but you might drag as the car goes over the hump and into the trailer. If memory serves, I'd taken along a couple of home built wood ramps that allowed the steel ramp to be raised slightly. It looks like U-Haul doesn't rent anything (open or closed) bigger than 6x12; you may wish to do some phoning for other choices as well. Apologies for not providing more definitive information. Doug

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
Another option would be to buy a single axle utility trailer, good used if you can find one and sell it when you get to Tampa. I use a 14’ single axle flat trailer with a tailgate to haul the Bugeye, MGB, and a variety of TR4s and TR6s. The trailers are light weight and have plenty of capacity to haul our cars and you can resell one close to what you paid. It looks like a uhaul car hauler is going to run you close to $600 otd and you should be able to buy a good one for $1000, sell it for$800-900. BTW, what will you be pulling it with? The uhaul is a very heavy trailer for what it is and you need a vehicle strong enough to pull and stop it...probably 4000 pounds loaded with Bugsy? A good utility trailer would be around 2300-2500 pounds loaded. Just a thought.
Rut

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
2016 Honda Pilot Rut. $318 one way for the UHual car carrier. Ok got a couple of months to figure out options. Time to start looking at Craig’s list locally. No room to store a utility trailer and against Development Rules and Regulations.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Quick look at Tampa Craig’s List find a dual axle set up to haul a Miata Race Car for $1400? Need to do some sleuthing.

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
As mentioned before the track of the sprite is only 4 foot so most open inthe center trailers will not work.
Someoneon this board must have a trailer for lend lease.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Jim,
Another option would be to buy a single axle utility trailer, good used if you can find one and sell it when you get to Tampa.

Is single axle legal? I know they are used (obviously as you have one) but not sure if he might get pulled over?

hcallaway

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
In Virginia a single axle would not be an issue. I would make sure the capacity of the trailer is there. I think there are not a lot of single axle trailers with more than a 2000# axle. One give away is if it has electric brakes that would generally indicate 2550# or higher.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
JP,
In Alabama it’s legal and most, mine included, don’t have a tag. The most common axle down here is a 3500# which gives you about 2500# load capacity...more than enough for all of my LBCs.
Rut

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
2016 Honda Pilot Rut. $318 one way for the UHual car carrier. Ok got a couple of months to figure out options. Time to start looking at Craig’s list locally. No room to store a utility trailer and against Development Rules and Regulations.

Hey, Jim -

Will U-Haul rent the carrier to you if you intend to pull it with the Pilot?

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
My first trailer was a single axle with a 3500# axle rating. Here is the info. on the trailer:
https://www.bigtextrailers.com/35sa-single-axle-utility
I used this trailer for 4 winter season trips with Bugeyes and the Spitfire from Ohio to Florida and back. Pulled it with my Silverado 1500 without a problem. I sold this trailer on Craigslist to a landscaper for $250.00 less than I paid for it.
I now have an enclosed, dual axle only because I wanted better security for the load.
Jim: Is your Pilot AWD? If it is, it should be able to handle this load. If it is a 2WD, I would not use it as the tow vehicle.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
AWD John good for 5,000 lbs towing capacity. 280 hp under the hood. Finally home today after week in Augusta GA for work. Saw a Miata Race Car trailer on CL last week. Will find something in the next few weeks.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Got a deal on a 6 x 14 trailer from a fellow lister for a great price. Will take some driving to retrieve but Bugsy will be back on the road and in FL before I know it. Shelving going up in garage this weekend so all tools and Bugsy parts will be organized up and out of the way. Still more boxes to sort but it’s coming together.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jim I delivered 60FROG to Bill in San Diego with a Uhaul trailer. With careful loading, most of the tires were on the outside ramps. Trip was fine with my Highlander doing the hard work. Cheers, Scott

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Mickey,
U-Haul says a BE will not fit. You need to tell them thatyou are moving a TR-6. The ramps on the Car Carrier are too narrow and the BE’sTires will ride on the inside curve. Strap it down and it should be just fineas others have opined.

The Trailer I got is owned by a fellow BE Owner and is 7’ Wx 14’ long, single Axle no brakes. Wood Deck with a gate. Typical LandscapingTrailer. LED Lights all around, will add a Spare Tire Mount, Spare Tire, Set ofWheel Bearings. Bottle Jack, and Misc Tools needed to change out a WheelBearing if needed to my Towing Setup. Trailer takes a 2 “ Ball. And price Ipurchased for is equal to $ I received for the 948 in Bugsy IV and a 1275 thatneeded rebuilding, along with a Ribcase taking up room in my old garage. Otherthan a Trip to the Windy City on 9/19, Net Cost is $0.00 Yeah!!!!

lewmac

What goes around comes around !

Mickey,
U-Haul says a BE will not fit. You need to tell them thatyou are moving a TR-6. The ramps on the Car Carrier are too narrow and the BE’sTires will ride on the inside curve. Strap it down and it should be just fineas others have opined.

The Trailer I got is owned by a fellow BE Owner and is 7’ Wx 14’ long, single Axle no brakes. Wood Deck with a gate. Typical LandscapingTrailer. LED Lights all around, will add a Spare Tire Mount, Spare Tire, Set ofWheel Bearings. Bottle Jack, and Misc Tools needed to change out a WheelBearing if needed to my Towing Setup. Trailer takes a 2 “ Ball. And price Ipurchased for is equal to $ I received for the 948 in Bugsy IV and a 1275 thatneeded rebuilding, along with a Ribcase taking up room in my old garage. Otherthan a Trip to the Windy City on 9/19, Net Cost is $0.00 Yeah!!!!

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Yes Lew money from you and your buddy was still in the same envelope plus money from sale of my other trailer. Going to be a good thing. Thanks.