• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My 68 sprite hit and run

Slick Willy

2 days ago i got to take my test drive. I stopped and ran into a local store. When i came out to my horror someone had backed into my car. After watching the video it turned out to be a 1ton Ford. But we couldnt get a plate or id the drive. So now i need a grill, hood, and passengers side fender. I cant remember how to post pics. So now im having to tear it down again. Looking at the VB catalog this will be a very expensive repair. I am truly sick at my stomach. I have fought cancer several surgeries. Just when i think i will catch a break this happenes. My question is will mg sheet metal fit my 68 sprite if so what years. Thanks guys for any advice.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
aww man that sucks.

yes all the metal is interchangeable - the only caveat is that at some point (can't remember when but could look it up if someone doesn't remember) they changed the location of the signal light - so it can look cockeyed if they don't match.

at least it is just metal which can be fixed unlike people which can't always

keep us posted

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have a straight, rust-free Sprite bonnet, but I am in California. The difference between a Sprite and Midget one would be the 4 slotted holes for the bonnet badge. Also, earlier Midgets had a spear ornament down the middle of the bonnet, so you'd either have to live with the "identity crisis" or weld up the extra holes. The only other thing is that the prop support is on opposite sides, depending on the year of the donor bonnet.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have a straight, rust-free Sprite bonnet, but I am in California. The difference between a Sprite and Midget one would be the 4 slotted holes for the bonnet badge. Also, earlier Midgets had a spear ornament down the middle of the bonnet, so you'd either have to live with the "identity crisis" or weld up the extra holes. The only other thing is that the prop support is on opposite sides, depending on the year of the donor bonnet.

and even those holes are only on early cars

Country flag
I don't usually refer people to other forums, but there are some on the mgexperience that are from Tennessee that may have leads on parts.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I always wonder about the new raised trucks or SUVs seeing our cars in parking lots and such. I have a spare grill, flat black from a early 70s midget, that you can have for the price of shipping. I used a similar one on my 67 Sprite years ago and thought it looked nice, but certainly not original.

EricG

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have a nice rust free hood and front fender-don't want to ship as too big but I am in South Carolina. Sorry you got hit by a worthless hit and run driver......Eric

nomad

Yoda
As a British fellow mentioned on one of my forums....the modern American truck is "obscene". I could use a better truck but refuse to buy whats being offered now. I had a 3/4 ton Chevy for years that I could reach everything in the box of while standing on the ground. The new ones require a step ladder to reach anything in the box and a ladder to get into the cab......how is that progress?

Its no wonder they back over things but an SOB that drives off is something else.

Country flag
I agree about the truck size. I have a 2011 2-wheel drive Silverado 1500. I see no reason for it to sit so high. And the turning radius is monstrous. I got a REALLY good price on it back in 2015 otherwise I wouldn't have it.

OP
S

Slick Willy

Thanks guys. im sorry for the absence ive been back and forth to the va hospital. After the tear down, its a radiator and the fan blade cracked as well. So yeah im sick. I have a 3/4 ton Dodge. The thing with these trucks are you must beware of your surroundings. I have a 41 wc9. It turns like a battleship. But i always watch my 6. I will try and get up with some of you, but meds have me very sick. Thanks guys. Ive never removed the fenders so i know i will have a million questions.