• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jim Hall finishes his Lotus Cortina

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Just watched this and thought of Doc. Sounds like it was one **** of a restoration project.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
He's in our web dicussion group.
He was one of the people responsible on
engineering the Miata.
Said he tried to buy an Elan that Mazda
used in developing the Miata,but they wouldn't
sell it to him.
Seeing the video makes me wish I'd kept
my Cortina MKI GT.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Just my honest opinion but, to restore that, it would cost much more than the car would be worth, much more! Good for parts if you already have one to restore. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That brought a tear to my eye.

Mits drove our '65 back and forth to her job for years, co-workers called it "The Mitsymobile". She was always giggling about how when she would be first in line at an intersection, EVERYBODY was so far behind her after the light went green... :smirk:

We drove the car from Pittsburgh to Tampa, on the West Virginia Turnpike we were stopped by a State Trooper (I was doing around 80 MPH), we were on a long downhill section and after we'd pulled over and he had checked all the paperwork,he said he was concerned we were out of control. No ticket, just a warning.

I very much miss that li'l tin Lotus, regret having parted with it. One of 200... gone to Europe and lost to time. *sigh*

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
wasn't going to mention it as I didn't want to feed your addiction

Says the man who found me my RHD MGB... :grin:

That brought a tear to my eye.

Glad you at least have some good memories from it.

It makes me feel better that even Jim, with all his skill and the resources of Jay's shop still had some frustration over the restoration process. Makes me feel less alone every time I go out to my shop and see my poor Bugeye languishing in the corner.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Did notice they put a set of "counterfeit" Webers on it. Newer version of the originals, made in Spain.

Ours came to us when the owner of the Alfa/Lotus dealership asked if I'd be interested in it. We went to his place to look it over and the Cortina (in his words) was not running. He couldn't get it to start, claimed to have tried repeatedly and was fed up. Long tale short, I pulled the dizzy out, cleaned it and the points, static timed it and hit the key. It fired off and the deal was sealed. His remark on seeing it light off was: "I just knew you were going to do that!" I drove it home.

For the next decade it was Mits' primary transport, we even used it as a "moving van" to leave one apartment and get into another back in Sewickley. Multiple trips.

There are still some spare bits for it on my garage shelves.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Still upset the team driver of ours rolled mine in a drunken fit