• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Proto Tools

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Did Stanley buy out Proto tools? I was looking for a thin 11/16 open end wrench, found one that's advertised as a Stanley-Proto. Haven't bought many tools as of late and was wondering if Proto had merged. Wonder if their now made across the Pacific? Hopefully not. PJ :tongue:

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Yes, Proto was assimilated by the Borg, er... I mean Stanley-Black & Decker.

Proto has a sub-brand called Blackhawk. As far as I can tell, Proto is still primarily US manufactured while Blackhawk is mostly made in Taiwan.

From Proto Industrial Tool's website:

"WE ARE MADE IN AMERICA.
We make tools in America; Not because it’s cheaper and not because it’s convenient. We don’t even do it out of a sense of pride (although we are proud of the U.S.A.). We make tools in America, because put simply...it’s how we can ensure making the best quality tool we can. And in the rare instance when we can’t make a tool in America, we do so because... again, making the highest quality tools comes first. "

I've found that the customer service hotline reps at companies can usually tell you if a specific tool you're looking at is US made.

Last edited:

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
To Stanley Black & Decker's credit, now that Sears is in its final death throws and we're starting to see more Craftsman tools at other retailers, I've notice that some Craftsman products (primarily tool boxes) are displaying prominent MADE IN USA labeling.

On a related note, one of our local PBS stations recently aired the documentary The Toolbox of America. It's worth a watch. As the saying goes, check local listings.

Or, you could just watch it here.