Thread: Need Advice - Moving Temp Gauge Sensor 1275

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Need Advice - Moving Temp Gauge Sensor 1275

Hello guys,

I have a 59 bugeye with the original radiator. I want to move the temperature gauge sensor to the engine block. I have the original smiths temp gauge and upgraded to the 1275.

So how do I remove the sensor from the radiator so it "plugs" in the 1275 engine block?

Thanks!
    '59 Bugeye

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Need Advice - Moving Temp Gauge Sensor 1275

Doug
    For a 1275 you must get the spacer before you put the bulb into the head. The bulb will fit either way but you will break the bulb if you don't use the spacer. Spacer was common to all 1275's
    Billm

You remove the bulb with a 5/8" Crowfoot, an open end wrench will probably just round off the nut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

There is a thread on temperature connections on the big Healey board.
    Yes you need to find the spacer piece for the 1275 head. You use the blanking plug from the 1275 head in the radiator. They are available from the usual vendors.
    As you have installed a 1275, I will assume that you have recently had the sensor bulb out recently. If not the critical thing is making sure the nut is free on the sensor bulb. If the bulb is frozen to the nut then you could damage the bulb and need a rebuild.

If the nut is frozen in the Rad people use a deep 5/8 socket with the side cut out to fit over the capillary tube, similar to the socket used to remove O2 sensors. Some people add a hose clamp on the socket to strengthen the socket.
    As I said you need to make sure the bulb does not turn with the nut. I have resorted to actually taking the Radiator out and turning it to remove the bulb and nut and then soaking the assy in solvent to free it up. When reassembling add a coat of never seize between the nut and bulb.

Good Luck
    Joe Schlosser
    SCCA National License, Retired
    60 Bugeye, since 1966
    SCCA FP, sold but not forgotten

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys!
    '59 Bugeye