• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How would a new-chassis car be registered?

kkaa

Jedi Hopeful
Came across an Austin with a Kilmartin aftermarket chassis and new body. Has title to original car, but seems the only thing left from the donor is a chassis tag and British certificate.

It has title with that tag. How would it be registered when you have nothing left from the original structure?

Last edited by a moderator:

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I know others will probably disagree, but as long as it is represented as what it is, a 67 (or whatever) Austin Healey 3000 with replacement chassis and body panels then in my opinion it is fine.

Nebraska, and I assume other states, has an "assembled vehicle" title, see here: https://dmv.nebraska.gov/dvr/title/assembled for more, but I think very few people ever register their car that way.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
They are all "replacement parts" - where is the limit on replacement parts? ... Where do you draw the line - radiator, engine, differntial, door, seat, frame/chassis, etc.???? How much replacement is too much replacement? I agree with glemon, as long as a car isn't represented as something it isn't, I see no problem. With very few exceptions, there are no "original" cars left anyway - if just the voltage regulator has been replaced, it is no longer "original".
Just my opinion,
Dave

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
If it’s a BJ8 frame you are replacing then be sure to cut out the stamped shock tower just in case someone grabs the bad frame doesn’t try to use the same vin number and reregister it.

D

Deleted member 21878

different states work different ways i am sure. When i went to tag my car, they would not give me a title because the vin tag is screwed on. I had to go thru the stolen car division. they came out and went thru everything with me. asked me all about the car, then gave me a state sticker to put in the door jamb. i think they even made the number about the same as the vin tag...
after that i went back and got the title work done.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I still have my fathers original sledge hammer. Only replaced the head twice and the handle four times.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Drone Doug, same deal with my brother and his bugeye Sprite. He bought it from the original owner, who had parked it and lost the title decades ago. When he went to title it DMV did not want to register it because the VIN plate was screwed on.

My brother brought the "Original Sprite and Midget" book which showed the plate was screwed on at the factory, but they wouldn't title it. He went back a few weeks later with the plate riveted on, problem solved.

D

Deleted member 21878

glemon
i had the same conversation with the man they sent over to check out the car. i offered to show him the book. i also said i could pop rivet the plate on... but it is just as easy to drill out a rivet as it is the turn out a screw and i was going to put it back to screws after it got tagged.

seems silly in a way but i also understand that they do this for a reason. really was not a big deal for me since i did not have the car running at the time anyway.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
As long as you dont pass it off to be “original” then I dont see an issue .
My next project is a 62 Tri-Carb . Full matching numbers car with the original as sold with the car hard top (NO its not for sale !!!)
However the frame was completely shot and the block turned out to be cracked .
I had a Jule superstructure made for it and I got a replacement block with the same casting codes on it to do the build .
Anybody who looks under it will know its a Jule
I have the original tags for the car and they will go on it when its built .

D

Deleted member 8987

Came across an Austin with a Kilmartin aftermarket chassis and new body. Has title to original car, but seems the only thing left from the donor is a chassis tag and British certificate.

It has title with that tag. How would it be registered when you have nothing left from the original structure?

Some important data is missing to allow full understanding here.
Does the car run, and is it currently titled/registered/tagged?

If yes to at least the last three, then the hard work should be done and transfer should go normally unless they inspect and want tags rivetted in.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
In Pa. they have a license for "Street Rods". Basically "assembled vehicles" as Glemon has mentioned.

johnrued

Freshman Member
Country flag
Greg,

Do you have any good (re: reasonable, rationale, empathetic, understanding) contacts within the Nebrsaka DMV? I have title issues...

Thanks,

John

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Do you have any identifiable vin numbers on your car that you can prove the car is what it is? Heritage Certificate with a Letter from the Registar of that can back it up?