• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

On this day July 9th

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
July 9, 1947 a ceremony was held at the pentagon in Arlington, VA General Dwight D Eisenhower appoints Florence Blanchfield to be a Lt Colonel in the US Army, making her the 1st women in history to hold a permanent military rank.

1stfemalerank.jpg

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Interesting. I am curious about her shoulder insignia. It looks to me like an eagle which is currently the symbol of a full Colonel. Just a week ago I was at Andrews Air Force base in Maryland for the promotion ceremony for my son-in-law. He just made Lt Colonel and his insignia is a set of silver oak leaves. This photo must be from a later date than when she made Lt Colonel.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Interesting. I am curious about her shoulder insignia. It looks to me like an eagle which is currently the symbol of a full Colonel. Just a week ago I was at Andrews Air Force base in Maryland for the promotion ceremony for my son-in-law. He just made Lt Colonel and his insignia is a set of silver oak leaves. This photo must be from a later date than when she made Lt Colonel.

That picture was likely taken after she had later been promoted to Full Colonel.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The photo was probably her latest photo.

From the Hospital History: "The hospital was dedicated in remembrance of Col. Florence A. Blanchfield, Chief of the Army Nurse Corps from 1943-1947. Col. Blanchfield played a prominent role in World War II by placing nursing teams close to the front lines to provide expert nursing care to battlefield casualties and was instrumental in attaining permanent commissioned officer status for military nurses. Blanchfield Army Community Hospital is unique in the U. S. Army Medical Department as the only hospital named after an Army Nurse Corps officer. Col. Florence Blanchfield was the first woman to receive a regular Army Commission."