• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine is in!

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Last night I worked late and got the gas tank, fuel line, fuel pump, and engine/tranny installed. I wanted to install the engine completely assembled. This requires a steep angle to clear the radiator posts. It all went pretty smooth except for the driver’s side motor mount. Tight clearance with the timing chain cover required that the lower nut be put on 1st. Also had to remove the alternator bracket to tighten the passenger side motor mount.

Last weekend I fully assembled the motor and tranny including setting the timing to about 10 degrees. Hopefully this will prevent a “reality show moment” of the distributor being installed 180 degrees out.

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

More pics in my blog

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That's got to feel good.

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
What are all the electronics on the passenger footwell

OP
D

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
What are all the electronics on the passenger footwell

That's basically an interconnect panel with relays to drive each circuit (Headlights, Ignition, horn, etc). My goal was to be able to troubleshoot without laying upside down looking under the dash. The top row is primarily connections to the dash, the bottom row is connections to the car. It came out bigger than desired, but the basic 5 pin relays are a lot cheaper than almost anything else unless you make a printed circuit board. The terminal strips also provide a test for everything.

IMG_06871.jpg

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Expoxy garage floor and carpeted shop! Me like.

OP
D

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Expoxy garage floor and carpeted shop! Me like.

My wife wanted to downsize... One of my requirements was a 3 car garage. Smaller house, bigger garage - Win Win.

I had a small time window where I owned both houses and was able to get the garage floor painted. It’s much nicer to work on than bare concrete.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That garage is WAY too clean/organized!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So David, What type of camera are you using? Lens

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
David,
What brand of epoxy did you use? I’ll be coating my shop floor in the next couple of weeks and I want something that’s durable.
Thanks, Rut

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rut,

You've Got an advantage with a floor that’s never seen a LBC self oiling chassis before. Even though power washed, parking Bugsy in garage 3 weeks after being painted, paint stuck to tires in one spot and lifted. Stuff was a 2 part epoxy running $95 a gallon.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
You are so right! I’ve got 1200 sq ft to paint/coat and I want to do it right the first time. Once I hear from a David I’ll research the product he used and see if it’s readily available locally.
Thanks, Rut

OP
D

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Due to timing, I paid someone to do mine (same guy that was putting wood floors in our house). He used the Rustoleum epoxy from Lowes or Home depot. I think the key is to properly prep the floor. You can acid etch or mechanically etch. He used what looked like a 9" angle grinder with a vacuum attachment. I have had zero lifting. The are a couple places where the epoxy was a little thin and aggressive pressure washer use showed some concrete. Overall it it is very tough stuff. My wife and kids have spilled a gallon of latex paint and quart can of oil stain with no issues cleaning up. Dried rustoleum spray paint even comes off with the pressure washer (big one).

If I was going to do it again, I would do 2 coats of color and a coat of clear. mine was only one coat of color.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
David,
Thanks for the info. The floor is new concrete and will be thoroughly cleaned and dried before the epoxy is applied and 2 coats will be applied.
Thanks, Rut

Randyz

Country flag
Here's my epoxy horror story. In 1995 I had a new garage built. I used the Rustoleum epoxy and purchased it through W.W. Grainger. My garage measures about 490 sq ft. It looked like one bucket would do it if I was careful. I didn't prep the floor since it had no stains or old finish on it. I carefully rolled it on and stretched the paint as far as could until I only had a bare spot measuring 2' x 3' by the side door. I thought "no big deal" and bought another bucket. I figured I'd hit the bare spot and put an extra coat over the rest of the floor. When I checked the following day, the spot by the door was a totally different shade of gray and I could see streaks on the rest of the floor. So I let everything totally dry and applied another bucket overall. Unfortunately while I was rolling it on, the weather suddenly changed. The winds shifted and a storm blew through the area. There was a sudden drop in temperature that night. I was horrified to see that the latest coat didn't cure properly and a left a powdery substance on the surface and the gray looked cloudy. I later applied a fourth bucket and got a good result that has never lifted. I should have left it to the professionals for all the work and money I put into that.

JimLaney

I noticed in your blog that you bought a new battery at Costco. Can you tell me what battery you bought? I need to get one for my 65 Mk III and I need to test some subsystems before assembly so I thought I'd go ahead and get the one I can use later.

JimLaney

BTW David, that connection panel looks like a great idea. Do you have any drawing for it that you can share? It seems like a great way to trouble shoot the electrical system.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
It is if you use British Wiring Color Codes. David labeled each wire end with a sealed wiring label on each end of the all black wiring harness.i opted to buy a Customized Harness with extra wire runs and relays incorporated into the harness from British Wiring and built in UK by AutoSparks. On the lust of future projects when I pull the engine and harness for painting, post FL move.