• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New sedan - what would you choose?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
This fall I'll be in the market to replace my 2010 Nissan Altima 3.5 sedan. My '53 MG provides the fun factor; a four door sedan serves my "everything else" purposes well.

If your budget were limited to $30K max, what marque sedan(s) would you consider for a new, full size car? Reliability record, functionality, design and appearance inside and out, mechanicals, etc.

Thanks.
Tom M.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Looks like sedans are on the way out - at least for the moment.

Camry and Altima are still contenders, though. However, surprised to hear the term "full size" applied to these...

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Looks like sedans are on the way out <snip>

Hey - so am I! But still a few years left ...

Probably my age, but I don't feel comfortable in compact cars on the interstates these days. If it were just passenger cars on the asphalt, no problem. But about 1/3 the vehicles around here are single or double trailer semi's.

terra-bella.jpeg

yikes

Thanks.
Tom M.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Toyota Camry would be my choice IF I was insistent on getting a sedan. However, my next car (to replace my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe) is going to be a Ford Explorer (with v6, not the 4-cyl). I drove my BIL's 2014 Explorer when we went to Wyoming for the Eclipse last August and I was very impressed with it. Drives like a car, but lot's more utility than a sedan.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Basil. I've always been interested in the utility factor, but those type vehicles just look "boxy" to me, and the few I've ridden in seem "high", "big" and a bit stiff in ride.

Would you be buying, or leasing?

TM

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Thanks Basil. I've always been interested in the utility factor, but those type vehicles just look "boxy" to me, and the few I've ridden in seem "high", "big" and a bit stiff in ride.

Would you be buying, or leasing?

TM

Go rent one and drive it to see how it feels. We're going to buy (probably used with low miles).

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
1. I like a new car. It has IMO needed features like backup camera & blind spot warning.
2. I can't see paying a ton of money for a depreciating asset.
3. I drive less than 12K miles a year.
4. I can write off 60% of my car expenses.
5. If anything goes wrong, its under warranty and costs me nothing.
6. The only alternative is buying a two or three year old car coming off lease and keeping it forever. I did this with my '02 Honda when my lease was up. I still have it, but it's a simpler car with a better repair record and has cost me practically nothing. Tires, batteries, a timing belt and water pump at 75K and brakes every few years. I just had it serviced at my local guy - $136.61. Still on the original shocks & struts and spark plugs. If the transmission goes, so does the car.
7. At the end of 3 years, back it goes to the leasing company. I don't have to hassle with buyers or dealers.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The wife's 05 Honda Accord EX has been super reliable (although it is starting to burn a little oil with over 200,000 on the clock). I'd buy another one, but I'd go for the V6 this time. The 4 banger is a bit sluggish off the line to suit me (takes a long time to get wound up to the power band).

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks gents.

Randall, Honda will have a turbo-4 cylinder available. Wonder if that will be more dollar effective for power than a V6? (or more problematic?)

Dave, I thought you were a Mini Cooper family! Why'd you move to Subaru?

Tom M.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Korean or Japanese - I think you get more value these days for a Korean Car.

Low mileage - 2-3 years old preferably still with warranty.

After that seating position - I prefer sitting straight up - hence my Kia Soul.

this is a great website - saved my mother about $1000 https://ca.cargurus.com/

I will also say (particularly in a country like Canada where gas is more expensive) that I used this website for my shopping when I bought the Kia

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbsSelect

I saved about $15 a tank over my Mazda 6 - and they estimated about $5000 savings over 5 years.

Finally remember you are buying an appliance here - save your sporty and performance urges for the MG!

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Dave, I thought you were a Mini Cooper family! Why'd you move to Subaru?

Tom M.

Tom, when we were moving to much smaller garage space, I ended up selling three cars and buying one to fit in the smaller garage with little driveway. Of course, the TR3B was the most difficult, but Peg did not like the ride of the Mini, and we have had good luck with Subarus over the years and appreciate the AWD in bad weather. Repair costs are better too, and the dealer is much closer to our home. The other car I sold was an older Acura TSX which was showing some age. I had bought a Legacy from an estate, but was not happy with that particular car even though it was very low mileage and quite a good deal, so it was traded in just over a year ago. Peg still has her Forester, so now we are a two Subaru household.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
As some of you are aware, my Accord is a V6. Smoother and faster than the Subaru flat 4. Entering the parkway, you sometimes have to floor the Legacy to beat the oncoming traffic. My daughter is on her 2nd leased Crosstrek. First one was a hybrid. This one is not. When the Honda goes, my son is after me to buy a used Mazda 6. Both daughter and I have owned VWs but found them unreliable. Don't know about the new ones.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks gents.

Randall, Honda will have a turbo-4 cylinder available. Wonder if that will be more dollar effective for power than a V6? (or more problematic?)
Dunno, might be OK. It takes time for turbochargers to spin up; and often until they do spin up they actually choke off engine performance.

My late first wife had a Dodge Caravan with a turbo 2.5L 4 banger and it felt really sluggish (to me) coming off the line. Pulled strong once the boost came up, would even spin the tires sometimes if you kept your foot on the floor long enough. But I always felt like I had to mash the pedal just to get across the crosswalk.

But my friend's Z4 with the twin turbo L6 seems to have much less lag, so maybe the Honda will be better too.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Rube Goldberg would be proud!

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Mazda6. The levels of equipment, technology and build quality are far in advance of the competition. You should be able to find a car in Touring trim level for your budget. For a little more, a Grand Touring with even more equipment and the 2.5 turbo, 225hp and 310 lb/ft of torque on regular gas, (no turbo lag) is an overlooked gem.