• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My high school car, a 1959 TR3a

JH56

Freshman Member
Country flag
I've owned my 1959 TR3a since I bought it off a vacant lot and towed it home in 1974. I was 18 and couldn't afford the car of my teenage dreams, a TR6. I cleaned the mud out of the carb float bowls, installed a new battery and fresh fuel, and it fired right up. Twenty years later, I began a full restoration and have been using it since 1997.
Today, I own a 2004 Jaguar XJ8 as my daily driver and save the Triumph for weekend jaunts.

Attachments

• 1975A.jpg
    1975A.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 48
  • TR3 XJ8.jpg
    TR3 XJ8.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 46

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
JH - good to have you with us.

Lucky to have such a long connection with your TR3. You look like a very happy guy in that photo.

My teenage years were in Fort Worth. That's the little town just to your west ... :jester:

My first car (1966 college freshman at TCU) was a 1955 Jaguar Mk VII I got for $800. My parents thought the car was so massive that I'd be safe in just about any possible accident - even being hit by a Greyhound bus. Fortunately that never happened, altho' they weren't too happy when some fraternity guys "borrowed" the Jaguar for a joy ride.

Keep us posted as your TR3 journey continues.
Tom M.

OP
J

JH56

Freshman Member
Country flag
I live in Dallas, Oregon, not the slightly better known town in Texas. And I'm still a happy guy; just less hair!

JH - good to have you with us.

Lucky to have such a long connection with your TR3. You look like a very happy guy in that photo.

My teenage years were in Fort Worth. That's the little town just to your west ... :jester:

My first car (1966 college freshman at TCU) was a 1955 Jaguar Mk VII I got for $800. My parents thought the car was so massive that I'd be safe in just about any possible accident - even being hit by a Greyhound bus. Fortunately that never happened, altho' they weren't too happy when some fraternity guys "borrowed" the Jaguar for a joy ride.

Keep us posted as your TR3 journey continues.
Tom M.

OP
J

JH56

Freshman Member
Country flag
Here are a couple interior photos. Mind you, I never went for the show car look; I always wanted my car to look it's age. Thus, I cleaned and sealed the chrome instead of re-plating wherever possible, and I allow a few chips and scratches. It's fun to drive on gravel roads, after all.20140531_123312_resized.jpg20140531_122928_resized.jpg
Welcome to BCF! Nice looking refurb! Got any interior pictures?

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello JH

Welcome to the forum.

They look like twins parked there together. The TR3A looks great.

My first car was a 1956 TR2. Wanted a XK120 but could not come up with the extra $200.00 so I got a TR2 for $250.00 Great car. Unfortunatly it really needed a frame off restoration back in 1974 so I moved on to a Rover 2000.

I am rebuilding a TR3A at the moment.

David

OP
J

JH56

Freshman Member
Country flag
I paid $250 for my TR as well, 43 years ago.
When I first restored mine, I tried to keep it as stock as possible. I did increase the cylinder size (who wouldn't?), but kept everything else as original. Over the years, I've modified my thoughts. Bit by bit, I've replaced the TR3 fan with one from a TR4, the points with electronic, the starter with a gear-reduction unit, the generator with an alternator, the oil filter canister with a spin-on, etc. I kept the original parts so I can replace them should I ever become a born-again purist, but for now I'll take convenience and reliability.
Jon