• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Perry Mason Triumphs.

Country flag
Have started watching the old black and white Perry Mason series. In the last two weeks I have seen a TR3, early TR4 and this week a Herald convertible. Perry himself usually drives some type of American convertible, 60s T Bird and big Mercury are some of the recent ones.
Marv

dklawson

Yoda
Retirement comes for me within the next two weeks. I have told anyone silly enough to ask that I plan to start my days watching Perry Mason on MeTV. I've seen at least one episode with a TR3. I'll be looking for the TR4 and Herald.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Don't remember any British cars, but I do remember Mason's investigator, Paul Drake, drove a T-bird, depending on the year of the series.

SASSAMON

A fun resource is the Internet Movie Car Database: https://www.imcdb.org

Car spotters can id just about any motorized vehicle in movies or television.

Take a look.

It is not complete as I know that there are at least two episodes that have a TR3 and the IMCDB lists only one..

Roger

18kperhr

My wife and I bought the complete DVD set and have watched all the episodes.
Don't jump on me too hard as the following will be off the top of my head.
In the beginning Perry drove a BIG black Cadillac. '56 or thereabouts. I have wondered if it someone's car in the production company.
Then Perry started driving Lincolns and Paul drove Thunderbirds. Della was sometimes seen in her Ford Fairlane(?). There was credit at the end for "Automobiles supplied by The Ford Motor Company". Note the marketing forces here. Successful attorney= Lincoln. Dashing detective= Tbird. Practical secretary= Fairlane.
There also a few shots of Perry in a lesser Ford as if he had the Lincoln for cruising and the Galaxie(?) for around town.
For a VERY short time in the early '60s Perry was driving a Cadillac again and Paul was driving a Corvette. There was credit at end for "Automobiles supplied by General Motors". This quickly switched back Fords after about 3 or 4 episodes. You can certainly guess what happened ( Free? No you pay! No you pay!) but I don't really know.
The Triumphs were certainly scattered about. The young tough ala "Rebel Without a Cause" in a TR3. Werner Klemperer (Colonel Klink "Hogan's Heroes") as a nasty E. German in a TR3. The TR4 driven by a young debutant. I may have that wrong as memory fades.
I have Michael Cook's "Triumph Cars in America" on the way and wonder if he sheds any light on this and other product placement campaigns.
There is one episode that deals with sports car racing where a fellow invents a new, radical transmission(?) that will revolutionize the world. I don't know the cars but there a several sports racing cars of the period in the background shots. Fun stuff.
Enjoy the series and keep your eyes open- the background shots in parking lots and on the street have many interesting cars.
Have fun,
Joel

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
AgXt1xm.jpg

5SOHqLg.jpg

9EdNnky.jpg

Triumphs were possibly used to suggest the nature of the character: irresponsible, devious, reckless -- though I also recall an episode where the office 'wolf' picked up girls in his Big Healey.

At least they didn't wreck any that I recall.