• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A bit of Dan Richardson [Tiger2Dan] History

Tiger2Dan

Freshman Member
Country flag
Joined the USAF 1979, I was in Logistics.... Started out in Unit Supply “SK or AK” for the Navy….The guy that had to get "stuff" for others. Spent many hours around the Flightline where they were working on and servicing all sorts of aircraft. Even had to do duty as a Fueler for some of our “Birds” at various times while stationed at 1604th Field Maintenance Squadron Kindley Field Bermuda. We supported C-47s Better known early on as Gooney Birds (Best of earlier cargo), later called Puff’s, the first jet’s in our inventory were the F-80s Shooting Stars which became the T-33s for training and pilot air time, KB-50s and later the KC-135 Refueler and WB-50s Weather Birds (Hurricane Hunters), B-47s, DC-54's C-124s “Shakies”' C121s & C119s. Even got to see some of our U2’s on rare occasions (Bermuda), remember Gary Powers?

Then on to Charleston and the C130s (Best of later cargo), C141s, and all sorts of Jets F100's, 101s, 102s, 89s, 104s, F4s , B52’s etc.etc.

During SEA tour we were constantly bombarded with the very loud A1Es because of our close proximity to the Flight Line. Then of course all those other modern jets with their “Tails-on-fire…”. Out of all my experiences the time spent in Bermuda '59-61 ('59 Alpine) and Christchurch, NZ '63 OPERATION DEEP FREEZE (Re-supply of South Pole) were most memorable.

My experience with anything mechanical started fairly early. Dad bought a bunch of land on Lake Greenwood in 1944 before the War was over. By 1948 He had started a Fish Camp and was making boats and renting them and sometimes a motor. I did good at finding minnows and worms then selling to people that wanted bait. Wasn’t long before I started helping Dad with his old Model A with a T model rear end used as a tractor. Endlessly tinkering to keep it going. Worked on the outboard motors, bought a ’34 Ford when 13 years old and started from there doing mechanic work. Exchanged a few engines. Burnt up some electrical wires. Bought a ’40 Ford Coupe with the Opera seats. Engine went bad, bought a ’51 Olds engine for a replacement, from there I really went wild. Two speed Columbia rear end, floor shift, roll & pleated black and white interior, dual smittys. Great time to be young. High school 53-57. USAF ’59-’79. I’ve owned some for a short time others for a long time Mercury Super 10 outboard Motors (racing) Hydo’ and run-a-bouts, ’32 ford coupe,’39 ford deluxe coupe like a new car, several ’40 coupes, ’34 ford 2dr sedan was actually my first car. ’51 ford 2dr crestliner w/od, ’57 ford conv RED new then went in USAF. Bought a British made Triumph motorcycle Tiger Cub when I arrived in Bermuda. Then bought a ’56 Ford 2dr Prefect (Anglia ?) and drove it until I departed the Island. My friend Chamberlan bought a brand new ’59 Sunbeam Alpine (Red) during this time late ’59 or early ’60 (think it was first one on the Island). When I arrived back state side in August ’61, I bought a ’58 Chevy Impala with a 283 powerglide, traded it out eng & tranny with a '62 Chevy 409 dual 4bbl and the 4 speed, sure miss that one, but a trip to the SEA for a year caused the separation (permanent). After SEA Duty it was North Dakota for 4 years, then on the Anchorage, AK for 5, Great times there hunting and fishing, reminded me of New Zealand!! After retirement in ’79 from the USAF I returned home to Greenwood, SC on the lake.

Bought a 1965 SIV Sunbeam Alpine ST OD Maroon colour 70 from my good friend Kirby! He purchased it new while stationed in UK, drove it several years there then back home in SC at Shaw AFB a few years. I spotted it under a shed one day, stopped and asked if it was for sale? Realized He was my lake buddy from years gone bye! He said not for sale! Stopped back ever so often! Still NOPE! Then one day Kirby said if I took the the other Alpine( GT rust bucket) He would sell me the Maroon one. That day I became the proud owner of 1 Alpine and not so proud of the other! Drove the Maroon one three or four years, then put in storage with the GT Rust bucket until 2006. Pulled the GT out and put on a rotisserie. It is now getting the full treatment and a V6. It was originally fitted from Rootes with a Borg Warner BW35 transmission. It is now getting a Ford A4LD, A/C and Electrical power steering (EPS).

I bought my elder son a 1967 SV Alpine in 1984.  He ran the wheels off, parked it, joined the USArmy. When He arrived back home he wanted a different type car so we traded. The ’67 SV went on the rotisserie for a full restoration also. At first it got the 1725 rebuild along with a heat&air unit from Vintage Air, original colour code 106 Commodore Blue, 15” wheels and dual exhaust. Lots of other goodies were also added too!.....Then one day I got the bug to install the 2.8 V6, w/MuttII bellhousing, and late Mustang T5.

I did not like the kit available. So I designed my own special components for converting an Alpine to the V6, including the Straight back headers similar to the Tiger system. I kept the Vintage Air unit and added my designed EPS for a cool and comfortable ride anytime and anyplace.

Life’s been good! Great wife and kids, Grand kids, looking for some Great grand kids before I depart the scene.

Love them Sunbeams. On some of the other sites I am known as DanR, But another gent has that handle for this site. My "Handle" here is iger2Dan

Last edited: