• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugsy IV's First Drive occurred tonight

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Years of planning, wrenching, budgeting, researching and seeking advice of others who have gone done this road before me finally culminated in my first drive of Bugsy IV this evening. Over the past 8 weeks, my buddy Tim Bosse has been involved in installing my new 1,326 with road cam, minor porting and LCB Headers, a 210 5 speed with Gerard's Adapter Kit, Short Shift Kit, GR Starter, Alternator in a Generator Case from BP Northwest, Revotec In Line Fan Controller, and new Aluminum Radiator. Yes I wanted to finish this build myself, but the past 4 months have been spent in remodeling my house for sale and upcoming move to the Tampa Area. All efforts have been focused on the house and I know a parallel effort was needed to get Bugsy finished up before a move. Last Monday house went up for sale at 1:00 pm, 4 showings that day and seven the next resulted in 3 offers over list price. Sale was made and I need to be out of this house by 7/23. Win #1

Last Wednesday, Kate and I flew to for Tampa to begin house hunting. After looking at multiple properties to rent, we found a great home for the next year until we find a permanent home in Tampa and won out over 7 other applicants for the same property. Win # 2.

Got home from Tampa just after noon today. Called Tim and he told me, Bugsy's done! It's been raining and spitting rain all afternoon. About 8:45 PM, it finally stopped and I drove over to Tim's to at least get him paid before he leaves on an extended vacation. It started raining big drops as I got out of the car and walked around back to his shop. WE talked about everything that had been done to thins point and the remaining fettling that had been going on over the last 2 weeks. I walked to the garage door, held out my hands, a very slight sprinkle, and I can't stand it. I've got to go and drive Bugsy. It's dark and sprinkling, and the tonneau is on but I've waiting years for this moment. I don't care I'm going for a ride.

I climb in the car, put it in neutral, the short shifter I need to get used to is and to find the gears. I pull the starter button and OMG, the Gear Reduction Starter gives a huge whoosh and within a second or two the engine is running. No more crank, crank. crank going slower and slower, NO just a WHOOSH and running. And this is just the start of a fabulous first drive. Clutch depressed, Shift Lever over to the right and down. Let out the clutch a trifle too fast and almost stalled it but managed to get Bugsy going backwards out of the garage. Headlights on its after sunset and almost dark. I make it down the driveway and out into the street and to the first stop sign. Engine sounds mean and snarly with the LCB Coupled to a 2 " Pipe terminating in a Harley Muffler. The tone is completely different from the 948. Raspy, eager to rev and wanting to go play.

I let the clutch out at the stop sign and pully away smartly. I can feel the difference in torque already. I get the feel for it, bring revs up to 4k before shifting to 2nd. Clut grabs immediately and I put the pedal to the floor in 2nd gear. All I can feel is torque and a rush of power. Unbelievable power compared to the very well built 948 which could rev like crazy with a Cooper S Head, LCB, and HS-2's, but nothing like the torque coming out of this 1,326cc A-Series Engine. I brought up the Revs to 5k before a quick shift to 3rd. Engine stayed in the Power Band and the power and speed continued to build. I eased it into 4th and then shifted into 5th for the first time easy as can be. Let's just say ' I AM TOTALLY CHUFFED!!!!!!!

This is a totally different experience with Bugsy. This new engine has just so much torque it pulls and pulls like a train. And yes I only ran it out a few times and I know I need to be gentle to brake in this new engine but it already has several hours of run time and break in time on this little mill already. Mickey Pleasant built a great motor and courtesy of Gerard's Rear Seal Kit, not a drop of oil from the rear seal. So far, so good. Bill Masquelier bailed me out at the last minute when I had issues with my 210 tranny, Gerard provided some very well engineered parts and pieces, and Tim Bosse provided 40 years of Spridget and Mini Ownership and Wrenching to the project.

I get Bugsy back next Monday in my garage for a few weeks before a trip South. Waiting for House Inspectors and Appraisers to finish up before I bring Bugsy home. Likely a 6 x 12 U-Haul Trailer with boots w ratchet straps over the tires holding him in place will get him to FL. I'll take suggestions on other ways to get him there. One Way U Haul Rental is over $500 and I really don't have the time to drive him there myself. Need to get this house as well as Kate's house into Pods and ready to vacate and start a new chapter. So WIN # 3 today.

House Sold, New House Found, and Bugsy Goes for his first Drive all in 8 days. Now to check those Lottery Ticket I bought and see if Lady Luck is going to make retirement a bit easier.

Wow what a wonderful first trip with Bugsy. Only about 5 mile trip but oh does he feel good!!!! CHUFFED, TOTALLY AND ABSOLUTETY CHUFFED

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hurray! awesome. (of course video is great too)

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Fantastic, Jim. There is *nothing* like that first drive after many years work and waiting. :banana:

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Yes it was THAT GOOD!

Desert Rat

Country flag
Congrats Jim!
I’m in a bit of the same situation as you.
Sold my house and bought a new one the same day, and just moved in yesterday.
Agnes is at my parent’s house while my new garage is stuffed with boxes while we organize and I sort out the new garage layout.
I should have her back home in a week or so.
I’m not in much of a rush, our temperatures have been 107° so I wouldn’t be driving her much now anyway.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Congrats...that's always a great feeling. But, WE NEED PICS!!!! :cool:

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
JP it was pitch black outside. Car was not ready for me to pick up and my buddy is on vacation until next week. Then I will try and post pictures.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP it was pitch black outside. Car was not ready for me to pick up and my buddy is on vacation until next week. Then I will try and post pictures.

in other words it never happened. :devilgrin:

seriously, looking forward to it

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Congratulations Jim......what a great build....I'm sure you are really going to enjoy it.....I still miss 60FROG!

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Scott, I hear you now have first dibs.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
Congratulations! Man, you’ve worked hard to get to this point, so enjoy every minute! Keep us posted on your move...you never know who might show up.
Rut

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Rut, need to be out by 7/23 but may move earlier and pick up Bugsy in September when we come back up North for a wedding and trailer him down. Working out those plans and logistics this weekend. Two houses to consolidate, what to pack. Stuff currently in storage to eliminate garage clutter will be coming back to Bugsy’s garage spot so it can go into a pod. So that means no place to put Bugsy at home. Just a lot of stress and decisions to make on what to take and no time to drive. Will get through it however.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Man that's really parked on a steep hill Jim. I hope the brakes hold until you can get there to "pick him up."