• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Filling oil filter

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
There is a debate on a motorcycle forum I go to. Do you or need to fill the oil filter after a oil change. Wanted to see the car expert here think.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey, Don -

Far from an expert, but whenever possible (can't on an MGB with inverted mount!), I like to pre-fill them - less work for the oil pump. Probably not really necessary, but I figure... why not?

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have watched/read several sites on the subject and the opinion seems divided on filling or not. Not say it only takes a few seconds of running to fill the filter and you risk getting containments in the filter when you pre-fill. Do not remember what the do fill group said but they had reasons to fill.

I always put a drop of oil on the seal so it tightens up better. Use to pre-fill but do not anymore.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
My (nearly worthless) thought: I don't pre-fill the filters. Installing a filter cartridge full of oil is about as messy as removing an old cartridge full of oil.

But ... after I install an empty filter cartridge, I crank the engine a couple of times. Voila! oil is now in the filter! Then let the engine settle and check oil level. Add if necessary.

I think the idea of "a new cartridge is full of air, so if you don't pre-fill, you'll be pushing air into the oil" is a bit strange. There's already air in the crankcase, and that's where any air will end up.

Tom M.

OP
donbmw

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I guess I should have said spin on filter. A cartridge wouldn’t work. I can’t see the need since a vehicle could set with being operated for days compared to a few minutes it takes to do an oil change.

Last edited:

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I wouldn’t worry about it.
the Ferrari 330 has a oil filter mounted gasket surface down near the top of the engine.
the one thing I most definitely would do is oil that o ring
I have heard of people not doing that.
then on the next oil change the ring remains in the filter housing
the filter is replaced the gaskets stacked now on each other blow out crusing on the hiway followed closely by. Blown engine .

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I use the original type filter on the TF, Tecalmit, never went to the spin on, no need! Changing the cartridge is a no brainer. I remove the fill plug on the pump and pressure fill the filter container. It's also easy. I use Wix filters. My car gets an oil change once a year, just before putting it to bed for the winter. The car doesn't get driven much, so the oil isn't even dirty, but change it to get rid of any contaminants. I know the earlier TDs have a different setup and if you don't need originality, any way to make it easier is the way to go. PJ